Has anyone had to put child on vancomyicin

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
laurabluize
New User

Has anyone had to put child on vancomyicin

Postby laurabluize » Thu May 29, 2008 11:32 am

I am on my 6th day of Vancomyicin and it's working great. The first few days where really rough. I know that it's a very strong antibiotic, and is pretty much for severe cases. My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed after I tested positive. Only symptom for her is has been diarrhea maybe 2 x a day, and less appetite. Not to say that thats not bad. She has been off her 10 day course of Flagyl for a week now. At first it seemed like she wasn't getting better at all, then she started to have less diarrhea. Today she had a soft BM, but not diarrhea. She has also been on acidopholis, and yogurt for a week now. Her pediatrician (who doesn't know much about C diff) wants to start her on vanomyicin today. Has anyone else had to put their child on Vanco? Is there a possibility that she might not need it? Would it be better to wait a few days and see how she is? It just seems so strong for a 4 year old. I don't know what to do? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Thu May 29, 2008 11:50 am

I would never say to go against your Dr's instructions, but I would ask him why he thinks it is necessary if she is doing so much better. Is she in any pain? Ask him, would it do any harm to take a wait and see approach. Maybe her gut flora is starting to return to normal. Kids often kick this much easier than adults. Ask more questions before you do or don't start the Vanco. Oh and yes many kids have been put on Vanco even younger than your daughter.

Hope this helps,

Take Care

Jenny

huffy24
New User

Postby huffy24 » Thu May 29, 2008 11:58 am

My 20 month old daughter went on Vanco for 7 days after 2 rounds of Flaygl did not make her symptoms go away, but she had tested positive for c-diff again and was still having intestinal cramping and a poor appetite. If your daughter seems to be doing better I'm not sure why the doctor would want to prescribe Vanco unless she had another positive test result. The good thing is that after the Vanco my daughter has not had any symptoms (even though she still tested positive for c-diff a week after she finished the meds). I didn't think the vanco seemed to affect her in any way, but waiting to see if her symptoms return might be a good idea. (?)

laurabluize
New User

On the phone now with Dr

Postby laurabluize » Thu May 29, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks so much for the advise. I am actually on hold right now with her Dr. office. I am going to ask more questions. This Dr just seems to not know much about C diff, and you know how some Doctors just say, " We'll just give her this" I will see what she says, and explain to her my concerns. Thanks again.

huffy24
New User

Postby huffy24 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:11 pm

My 20 month old daughter went on Vanco for 7 days after 2 rounds of Flaygl did not make her symptoms go away, but she had tested positive for c-diff again and was still having intestinal cramping and a poor appetite. If your daughter seems to be doing better I'm not sure why the doctor would want to prescribe Vanco unless she had another positive test result. The good thing is that after the Vanco my daughter has not had any symptoms (even though she still tested positive for c-diff a week after she finished the meds). I didn't think the vanco seemed to affect her in any way, but waiting to see if her symptoms return might be a good idea. (?)

laurabluize
New User

Postby laurabluize » Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 pm

To answer your question, No. She is in no pain. She will tell me when her tummy hurts, and thats always when we were running to the bathroom. Diarrhea has always been her only symptom thankfully. I feel like she is getting so much better, but then again, who knows. Does anyone know if I am on Vanco now and feeling 90% better, can I still spread it back to her? Does the vanco make you less infectious? Thanks again to you all.

huffy24
New User

Postby huffy24 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:42 pm

huffy24
New User

Postby huffy24 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Also, even when my daughter didn't have any symptoms she would occassionally say her tummy hurt. I think that she was still a bit gassy and would say it when she needed to pass a BM. I think she got used to saying it and the attention it would get her b/c we were so concerned. But it certainly would make us nervous to hear her say it.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”