anyone else have baby with cdiff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cdiffdad
New User

anyone else have baby with cdiff

Postby cdiffdad » Thu May 22, 2008 8:44 pm

hello, I have posted several time on general discussion but I would like to ask a question now.

Is there anyone out there that has had a baby with cdiff? We have been battling for 4 mos. 1 dose of flagyl 3 vanco and now alinia. Vanco is the best but child continues to relapse after 10-14 days from last treatment. He has been on the alinia for 4 days now and still is cramping. No bloody stools or D but still very stinky. He also appears disended in the stomach. No fever and there are plenty of times during the day that he is very happy. But when the cramps come on he is miserable. We are seeing a Pedi GI but I don't think she has seen c diff to this extent in a baby.

Does anyone know an expert in the US that has seen stubborn cases like this in babies??
thanks for your time. We still have hope, but it is awful to see a baby suffer from this miserable bacteria.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 22, 2008 11:47 pm

cdiffdad,
Don't know where you live, but my son's ped. GI probably saved his life when he had C. diff. at the age of 4 in l979 --when few had ever heard of C. diff. His name is Dr. Jon Vanderhoof, & he used to practice through the U. of NE Med. Center in Omaha, NE. (He is now a rep. for Culturelle so don't know if he is still practicing.) Google him & see if you can reach him. He might be able to suggest someone in your area.

cdiffdad
New User

Postby cdiffdad » Fri May 23, 2008 7:47 am

thanks

RNIAM1075
New User

Postby RNIAM1075 » Wed May 28, 2008 5:26 pm

We are right there with you. My daughter has been battling this for four months now (she is five months old). We have done two rounds of Flagyl and now one of Vancomycin. She does the same thing your child does.......about 14 days afterwards she starts with the D again. No fever, but cranky and crampy. We are nine days out after our Vancomycin and praying it worked. We are also pumping her full of Culturelle.

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Wed May 28, 2008 10:32 pm

mabye ask the doc if it is ok for some sort of gas relief drops.. I know they have milicon drops for gas for infants. I know gas is very painful with c diff and I can only imagine a little ones tummy... something to ask about. good luck

cdiffdad
New User

Postby cdiffdad » Thu May 29, 2008 10:06 am

thanks for all your comments. I hope that getting older does help and I think it is. His cramps don't seem to be near as bad or as often, but when the relapses occur it is noticably worse and his stools become loose again. He is taking Florastor probiotic and just finished a 10 dose of Alinia. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for us.

RNIAM1075 I will be praying for y'all. Please keep me posted and let me know if your doc does anything out of oridinary that leads to the resolution.

cdiffdad
New User

Constipation

Postby cdiffdad » Fri May 30, 2008 3:16 pm

recently our son just finished a 10 day dose of Alinia. He has been very constipated over the last few days. When he does have a BM it is fairly very solid, but unusual for an infant that is eating formula. Is this something to be concerned with? I have read that constipation and colitis can be associated with one another.

Sue
Regular User

Postby Sue » Sat May 31, 2008 8:01 pm

I'm wondering if consulting an Infectious Disease Doctor might also help. The first time I had c-diff, I was treated by a GI who had me go through several rounds of flagyl & then several rounds of vanco. Once I was referred to an ID doc, I was told that after a couple of failed courses, I should have been put on Vanco for a longer course & that several short courses can actually make c-diff more difficult to eliminate. I don't know if the same is true for children - or if that even still holds true (this was 8 years ago) - but it might be worth looking into. I have heard from many on this site who have been treated very successfully by GI's - but I have found that ID docs have worked best for me.
Good luck!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:06 am

cdiffdad,
There is info. in FAQ-Children (inc. infants) with C. diffile.

cdiffdad
New User

Postby cdiffdad » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:27 am

We actually did a 21 day Vanco treatment and it still came back.

RNIAM1075
New User

Postby RNIAM1075 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:50 pm

cdiffdad- I will keep ya'll in my prayers too! I will let you know if I learn anything new! We turned in her stool specimen today. She has been off of Vancomycin for 14 days now. I spoke with a neonatologist that I used to work with (I am a nurse) and he too felt that once babies get on solid foods that it helps build up their normal flora. I am hoping that will be the case since she has been on solids for a few weeks now. We are also doing the Culturelle right now too. Good Luck to you!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:54 pm

RNIAM1075,
Pls. educate others in the medical community about how devasting C. diff. can be. Some still think it is "just a minor infection for the elderly & otherwise ill." You know better from personal experience.

RNIAM1075
New User

Postby RNIAM1075 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:17 pm

I am doing all I can to spread the word and tell others. I have found that so many people have no idea what C. Diff is or how bad it is. I am a nursing instructor at a local nursing school, but I have recently applied for a job as an infection control nurse at a local hospital. I feel I really could make a difference in that position and have so much to share.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:25 am

RNIAM1075,
"You betcha." As an infection control nurse, you could do a lot to educate others. Pls. follow this path & help us educate others.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”