Vaginal infection after C. Diff what can I take?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ginwah
New User

Vaginal infection after C. Diff what can I take?

Postby ginwah » Mon May 19, 2008 6:33 pm

I now have a Vaginal bacterial infection after being off Vanco for 180 days. No more c. diff but will I get it again if I treat the vaginal bacterial infection.

Jodie
Regular Contributor

Postby Jodie » Mon May 19, 2008 7:27 pm

Depending on what type of infection it is!!! Flagyl works for some infections of the vagina and also helps agains c-diff. Hope this helps on the limited info!!Jodie

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 19, 2008 11:33 pm

ginwah,
See FAQ-Anti-Fungal Medications (Yeast Infections).

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Tue May 20, 2008 2:06 am

Hi ginwah,

have an antibiogramme done from a swab to test which ABs work for your problem if it is not a yeast infection but indeed bacterial. Susceptibility testing is a must in our cases - make sure you don't go for broad spectrum ABs without knowing what you are treating - unless it feels as if the infection is moving upwards which is when doctors sometimes decide to "fly blind" to prevent things from getting even worse. Make sure the lab tests the "less likely to cause c diff / middle of the road ABs" from the list here on the site as well - not all of them are part of standard antibiogramme testing. There is topical metronidazole cream which works for some things. It is not as systemic as the oral AB version plus as we know works against c diff anyway.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 20, 2008 11:39 am

CIDiff,
Thx. for info. Copied it in FAQ-Anti-Fungal Medications (Yeast Infections).

ginwah
New User

Postby ginwah » Tue May 20, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks, that is what I thought. I am going back tomorrow and ask for specific tests. I was nervous when she said I had to use vaginal flagyl and after my reaction she said to douche with betadine 7 water. Then I asked for a swab but then she said she knows a bacterial infection when she sees one. I thought that was a very casual response.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 20, 2008 5:50 pm

ginwah,
Few docs. can "tell a bacterial infection when they see one." (If any.) Ask for tests. Why take any med. of you don't have to do so?

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Wed May 21, 2008 3:35 am

It's true that a vaginal yeast infection presents differently than most bacterial infections and docs can quickly confirm such a suspicion under the microscope while you're still there - but you need to know more, not just THAT it is bacterial but what kind of bacteria and which ABs work best if you must get back on ABs. Sounds like your doc doesn't understand your risk for a return of c diff. I would insist on a swab with antibiogramme....

I used vaginal flagyl mself a few weeks ago and have been fine. It cleared up the infection quickly.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”