anyone taking flagyl and vanco together?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jodie
Regular Contributor

anyone taking flagyl and vanco together?

Postby Jodie » Mon May 19, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi!!! Preggie and taking Flagyl and Vanco together....has anyone else gone this route and how were the results?

Thanks,

Jodie

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:47 pm

After my 3rd relapse my doc prescribed Flagyl and vanco together. I had been queasy during my first round of Flagyl, but with it and vanco together, I was so sick that I couldn't eat at all. I could only drink Gatorade or gingerale. After 4 days of that, I figured I was never going to get better if I couldn't eat, so I called my doc and said that I was stopping Flagyl. Then I felt much better on vanco alone.

Not having been pregnant during my cdiff battle, I can't comment on that. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 19, 2008 11:32 pm

Jody,
We've had many pregnant women post with different info. about Flagyl vs Vanco. during pregnancy but didn't accumulate much info. Do see FAQ-Pregnancy & C. diff.

I'd contact your OB/GYN, ped. (if you have one), GI, & pharmacist & have them give you their opinions. Hopefully, they will agree.

Hopefully, more pregnant women will post with info.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Tue May 20, 2008 12:49 am

Personally I would prefer death than the combination of the both of them. Flagyl almost did me in and the thought of taking both of them at once makes me sick thinking about it. I guess I am to the age that quality means more to me now! Cdiff does not offer much!
Cindy

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Tue May 20, 2008 2:09 am

Jodie, how are you feeling on this combination? I know others here have felt awful on flagyl, but if you are feeling allright I would not necessarily be worried. Both of them together is usually used for pretty ill patients. Not sure about your case history - has your c diff been especially hard to treat or how come your doc has chosen thois treatment?

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:38 am

I agree with ClDif if your stomach can take it and the doctors advised you to take both I would try it. However, I know exactly what Nancy and Cindy mean since my grandmother was on both and for some reason they wouldn't take her off the flagyl even when requested by my family. She couldn't eat for weeks like Nancy mentioned and puked all the time. I would just see how it goes for you and if you start feeling too sick in my opinion I would immediately be taken off one of them most likely the flagyl since that usually makes people sick. I know it made me extremely nausea and I couldn't even eat on just that alone. Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy. I'm sorry you have to deal with c-diff since this should be a time of joy and not stress like c-diff can cause.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 20, 2008 11:37 am

Jody,
Do check with docs. re. Vanco./Flagyl combo & how it will affect your baby. Memorial Day will be here soon so call before it arrives - tough to reach a doc. any time -- let alone a holiday.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Tue May 20, 2008 7:57 pm

Jody -

Do please follow Bobbie's great advice immediately, especially with your OB/GYN, with the holiday fast approaching. You didn't say what type of dr. prescribed this combo and whether he/she knew you were pregnant.

I'm way, way too old to be preggie (almost made the record book as I stopped having periods at the young age of 27 and never found out why).

Just FYI, when I was hospitalized the second time for nine days with C-Diff in April 2007, I was given liquid Vanco while there, but when I was discharged I was prescribed a six week taper of Vanco pills, along with Flagyl added during the first 2 weeks of the taper.

There are so many members of this forum that had C-Diff while pregnant that hopefully many of them will chime in with their experiences.

It must be so awful for you to have to be dealing with this awful beast during a time that should be so happy for you.

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:04 am

For my last 2 relapses I took Flagyl 500 mg 4x per day and Vancomycin 500 mg 4x day together for 6 weeks. On my 4th relapse I had it so bad I was on both of those plus oral (liquid) bacitracin 4x per day too. The combination works well and is necessary if you keep relapsing.

After 6 weeks, the Flagyl was stopped and I stayed on the Vancomycin for a LONG taper going on 6 months now.

After that I did fecal infusions and have not relapsed since. :) Still have bad IBS though.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”