Other symptoms with C diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
kaydaver
Brand New Poster

Other symptoms with C diff?

Postby kaydaver » Fri May 16, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi, I am a newbie here and on my third round of treating my antibiotic-induced c diff infection (1 Flagyl, 2 Vanco). I am freaking out.

Just as a preface, my username "kaydaver" is because I have worked in forensics for the past decade. It is a username I use frequently, but I am not goth nor interested in the "dark side". In fact, I am a 53 year old, full time employed, active grandmother. I hope the user name doesn't offend anyone here.

After reading many posts on the board, I have a couple of questions. Most people seem to have the common GI symptoms associated with a c diff infection (pain, bloating, cramping, and the "D" word), but does anyone else have any other symptoms associated with this? I have been telling my doctor about my extreme dizziness and ringing in my ears with this infection which resolved after the first round of vanco and recurred three weeks later when the infection came back. Not only that, but I have pain into my upper back and down my legs, even into my feet. It is also causing joint pain. This infection makes me feel extraordinarily terrible.

All of you on this board are amazing to have gone through many many rounds of this. I am inspired by your positive and hopeful attitudes.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Fri May 16, 2008 6:43 pm

Kaydaver:

C-diff is unique in that it can present in many different facets for different folks. Some of us have never had massive "d"or the cramping, just gas, photophobia and fatigue. I have heard of the dizzyness, but not the ringing in the ears. With C-diff having over 120 different strains, in my mind it could be possible. It affects everyone differently. I would discuss this with your doctor, If you didn't have it before becoming infected. the ear issue is most likely related to either the C-diff or possibly the vanco.

Fire

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri May 16, 2008 9:30 pm

kaydaver,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you. As fire says, there are a wide variety of symptoms associated with cdiff. It is a strange and terrible beast.

They tell me that everyone beats cdiff eventually. You will too. Hang in there. Let us know how it goes. We care.

kaydaver
Brand New Poster

Postby kaydaver » Fri May 16, 2008 10:37 pm

Thanks fire and Nancy!

I'll be doing much more reading and participating over the next few weeks.

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Sat May 17, 2008 11:07 am

Hi Kaydaver,

Sorry that you too are struggling with c diff. I too have experienced extreme dizziness. no ringing in my ears though. You should definately have your ears checked and have a hearing baseline performed.

I have rheumatoid arthritis, which I do believe c diff is aggrevating and I can't take my meds for it as they tend to make c diff worse. Unfortunately c diff has been known to cause reactive arthritis, which should go away after c diff has run it's course. I believe it can take some time for the inflammation to subside. As I recall Cindym also suffers with this, I am sure she can give you more information. Compare notes so to speak, but I would definatley ask your doc about reactive arthritis if the pain is bad. There is obviously a difference between the body aches, flu feeling that some get with c diff and reactive arthritis but I think both would be treated in the same way. Again unfortunately the anti inflammatories used to relieve those symptoms even tylenol can aggrevate c diff. A heating pad is my sole comfort these days.

Hope you feel better soon,

Jenny

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Sun May 18, 2008 6:44 am

Hi Kaydaver,

I had really bad joint and back pain as well when c diff was at its worst, still have that back pain now on many days. I always thought that this could also just be the result of the c diff toxins... Doesn't have to be rheumatoid arthritis. The fact hat the pain subsided when your c diff symptoms were gone would also support that theory. Good luck to you!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 18, 2008 3:33 pm

kaydaver,
Here's my standard intro. to "newbies."

Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics – especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and some of the topics in FAQ – especially Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

Since antibiotics contributed to your C. diff., be careful about taking them again. (See FAQ-Antibiotics.) Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop C. diff. again. (See Dr. Borody’s article.)

You have a fascinating job. Through your work, do you have access to "top notch" docs. who are knowledgable about C. diff.? If so, I'd
network as much as I could.

C. diff. is a weird disease. Usually, there are fewer side effects with Vanco. than with Flagyl because it goes "straight to the gut." Some, however, have complained of similar symptoms to yours while on Vanco. (Also, perhaps the Flagyl hasn't "cleared" your system. )

Several on the board have developed reactive arthritis, but usually have been on Vanco. a longer time. Since you are in the medical field, you know there isn't any med. that doesn't have a side effect.

Vanco. is usually more effective than Flagyl, however, so hopefully, this last round will work.

For aches & pains, try a heating pad. It was my "best friend" when I had C. diff. Hearing loss is usually associated with IV Vanco., but if the "ringing" in your ears persists, I'd check with both your GI (or ID) & perhaps even an ENT. I was on both IV (for 6-8 wks) & oral Vanco. w/o any of the side effects you mentioned altho. I had a long first round of C. diff. (4 yrs. - extenuating circumstances)& a shorter second round after another bout with pneumonia & Levaquin. I was "cured" by "the broth" (See Doctors- Dr. Mark Allen, KC). The treatment didn't work for me the lst time but did the 2nd & 3rd times. It hasn't worked for several others on the site & is usually reserved for only the "hard core" cases -- as are infusions.

My son also had C. diff. twice many years ago. He had it in l979 & was the youngest (4 yrs old) & one of the first people ever on oral Vanco. He had two relapses & then was OK. He had a 2nd episode about 6 yrs. later. We both have to be very careful about taking antibiotics. Unfortunately, we both have allergies & get resp. infections easily & live in climate that is not kind to people with allergies & asthma (KC).

Everyone is different, & C. diff. effects people differently. Approx. 80% of the cases respond with one to two rounds of C. diff., but the rest of us can suffer for longer. It's one ugly disease & we've had several docs. & many nurses post on the site when they had it.

Best of luck to you. You will get over this. Please educate others in the medical field about how nasty this infection can be.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon May 19, 2008 12:43 am

Kaydaver- Ringing in your ears can go along with dizziness and I was told is vertigo. I had the same problem and have had it many times in recent years. They gave me meds and it took care of it within a few days and stays go for long periods of time only to return occasionally. Best to discuss your problem with your doctor and perhaps mention vertigo to him.
Cindy

raj138
New User

Postby raj138 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:24 pm

I have been on vanco for about 2+ months, and have developed rinnging in ears and vertigo. I am worried that this will be permanent due to vanco being absorbed in my system. None of my doctors believe me and will not do a blood test to see. I have an ENT appt, but not until next month. I have good hearing before this, but right now I cant focus or do anything during the day.

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:10 pm

hey Kaydaver
I also had issues with my ears, my docs would just look at me when I told them. I had the ringing, pain and some blocking. When my physician looked he said he could see nothing. When I was on flagyl I also had veritgo. I was traveling at the time and was having a difficult time with dizziness and ear pressure(had never experienced it before). I think it improved once I switched over to Vanco but every time I was relasping the ear pressure and ringing were my first clues. I would even wake up in the middle of the night with the pressure. Now that I'm on the mend I rarely have the ear issues although they do come on occasion. I have never had any ear problems throughout my entire life so I knew it was related to c-diff or the medications. Couldn't ever get my docs to believe they were related but nor do they get that my hormones went completely out of wack as a result of the c-diff - that is why this board is so good, others have the same experiences! All the best

gm37
Long Time Contributor

ringing in ears

Postby gm37 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:12 pm

I am also new to this disease. I have just finished my second round of Vanco along with Rifaximin. Thr ringing in the ears bothered my the entire time that I was on the Vanco. Two days after being off of it, the ringing got worse....louder. Then, it was gone.

I am like you...new and just baffled by all of the weird symptons. I also have lightheadedness and sweating. I wish I could help with good advice, but it is comforting to me that someone else has the same thing.

Anne

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi Kaydaver. I'm really sorry to read that you're having these problems. C Diff does affect people differently; I think someone mentioned different strains. I didn't have the ear problem, but did have some dizziness. I do understand the body pain, though. I've had that probably 5-6 times...I got C Diff in February and have been off vanco over 100 days...but today, I'm having it again, along with fatigue. It comes and goes. Please note that I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over 10 years ago, so it could very well be that, but I hadn't had fibro pain in many years, so who knows? I'm wishing you better health soon...C Diff is so difficult to understand and hard to get through without a lot of support. You'll find that here, and I hope you have it with your family and friends. The people here have been wonderful to me and I don't know what I would have done without them. Please let us know how you do. If you're having any symptoms that are unusual for you, tell your doctors about them. The more we tell them, the more information they get, and hopefully, it will help someone in the future. Sending you my best...Karen

junbug1029
New User

Postby junbug1029 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:50 am

Hi Kaydaver,
Love your screen name!! I also have ringing in my ears, but it is chronic and has been around for many years and not related to the c diff. I too have had dizzyness from time to time, but it has resolved since taking Vancocin. I was diagnosed 3/08 after having D for 3 months. I took Flagyl for 10 days, and was better for 3 weeks. I then had a recurrence with symptoms worse than the first go-round. Round 2 consisted with 14 days of Flagyl followed by 14 days of Questran. The D never stopped and I called my doc and got 14 days of Vancocin. I finished that about a week ago and so far so good....I can even eat salads and other veggies and fruit! yea!!
I also had a lot of menstrual like cramps and other aches along with the gut cramping and soreness. These have also resolved since the Vancomycin. I'd be willing to take a longer course if needed. I haven't felt this good since last December.
I hope you get better very soon!!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”