c-diff & sepsis

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
julieh
Brand New Poster

c-diff & sepsis

Postby julieh » Tue May 13, 2008 5:45 pm

Hi

I am new to this board.

My Dad contacted c-diff in hospital in Dec 08, moved to another hospital in Feb 08 and contacted it again. In March 08 became very swollen, then developed purple pimples and was admitted to hospital again where he died 3 days later. It was all very sudden in the end.

We have just found out that when my father was admitted to hospital for the last time just before he died he had sepsis. Could the two be related?

Any advice would be welcome.

jaspore
Regular User

would hate to speculate

Postby jaspore » Tue May 13, 2008 6:01 pm

Hate to speculate, but as you learn more on this website, you may find that it is possible for c diff to become toxic megacolon and /or sepsis.
I'm so sorry to hear about your father.
Don't take anything I may say as fact, just research as much as you can...you will learn.
JASPORE

Wilmington, NC

julieh
Brand New Poster

Postby julieh » Tue May 13, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your response, a copy of my fathers medical records has been requested. Not looking forward to receiving the records, as I am sure they will be quite traumatic to read. That said, its something I must do as I have so many unanswered questions.

Regards

Julie

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:54 pm

julieh,
I am so sorry to hear about your father. Please accept my condolences.

I hope that you find something helpful in reading his medical records. I would be like you, I would have to read them even though they are painful. Take care.

Aread
New User

Postby Aread » Wed May 14, 2008 10:52 am

So sorry to hear about your father.

My son had toxic megacolon his first bout with c-diff. Very swollen and sepsis was a BIG concern with the docs.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 14, 2008 11:50 am

julieh,

Sorry abour father. Do get his medical records. You might check with the attorney re. this, but as a family member, I believe it is a law that you can acquire his med. records -- not sure if they have to give you everything, however. (Sometimes, the doc.'s notes are not included.)

If you want more info., read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics – especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and some of the topics in FAQ – especially Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

Again, our condolences.

julieh
Brand New Poster

Postby julieh » Wed May 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Hi

Yes I am from the UK. My Dad's death certificate said Mestatic Prostate Cancer, there was no mention of sepsis or c-dff. I wish I had joined this message board before my Dad had died.

I will also join the UK site, and by the way I have instructed a solicitor.

Thank you

Julie

barberry
Brand New Poster

Postby barberry » Thu May 15, 2008 1:46 pm

julieh

Roy forgot to mention rule number one when getting medical records - DO NOT mention the solicitor, get the full records that you think they may have, ask ALL the questions, then let them know what you have in mind.

NHS trusts can be very protective i would have thought after Maidstone and the other 'little' problems.

My sympathies, listen to Roy, the bloke talks sense amongst the humour, he has been to Hell and back and still tries to joke, I have nothing but admiration for him.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”