need another antiobiotic

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
mistygirl
Brand New Poster

need another antiobiotic

Postby mistygirl » Tue May 06, 2008 2:54 pm

I have to have an antibiotic before I have a dental cleaning because I have a metal plate in my knee. The doctor said maybe he should give me flagyl so I don't have another c-diff infection. Has anyone ever heard of this?

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue May 06, 2008 3:03 pm

Sorry but I dont understand why you need an antibiotic??

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:18 pm

I second that, I dont understand. What does having a metal plate in your knee have to do with cleaning your teeth??
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Wed May 07, 2008 7:51 pm

People with any kind of metal implant are usually advised by their doctors to take a short course of antibiotics before any dental work to prevent possible infections. It applies to anyone with any metal in their bodies due to hip or knee replacement, or anyone (like my son) with metal rods and pins after a bad car accident. Another complication for people with Cdiff!

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Wed May 07, 2008 10:04 pm

My husband has pins in his knee and has had dental work like teeth pulled without antibiotics.

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Thu May 08, 2008 12:38 am

I think they are already questioning whether everybody with a piece of metal in their body needs to take antibiotics just to go to the dentist, but many doctors still recommended them to cover their liability. In my son's case it was indicated by the surgeon that put his leg back together after the accident and because we told his dentist he will not see him unless he takes a high dose of antibiotics 1 hr. before his cleaning appointment. Of course, if your doctor doesn't recommend it or if you don't tell your dentist then it never becomes an issue.

mistygirl
Brand New Poster

Postby mistygirl » Thu May 08, 2008 10:05 am

Apparently because there are so many bacteria in your mouth, when you have your teeth cleaned they are all released. You only have to take antibiotic one hour before cleaning, no other dental procedure requires it. This seems to be the standard.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 08, 2008 12:43 pm

mistygirl,
Ask about trying Peridex (an antibiotic mouth rinse) instead of an oral antibiotic.

Usually, PenVK is adequate for dental problems & has alow risk (but still a risk) of causing C. diff. If it's just "one" pill, you should be OK.

Consult with your GI before your dental appointment, & maybe he/she will have other ideas.

Good luck.

Sue
Regular User

Postby Sue » Fri May 09, 2008 11:11 am

My advice would be to question any time that a doctor tells you that you need to take an antibiotic for preventative measures. I had my gall bladder removed last year without the use of antibiotics. I had to really push to have an ID doc involved in the decision - but in the end, we decided that the risk of infection was less than the risk of me developing c-diff again from the preventative antibiotics. I made it through the operation without any issues!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”