Thrush and yeast infections

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 27, 2008 2:38 am

Sandy,
Am sorry this doc. was a loser. I've had those, too. One GI told me (was actually hostile), "Well, I would never take anything stronger than penicillin or allow anyone else in my family to take a stronger antibiotic." (This from one of the "best" GI's in the area.) And did I prescribe the Vantin for myself? I don't think so. I agree on the less strong antibiotics (if possible), but "Duh, Doc. penicilllin doesn't 'cure' every infection & some are allergic to it." When I became very ill a day or two later I called the GI on call in his office & when he heard I had chronic C. diff., he said, "Well, then, I can't help you" & hung up. "Thank you Dr. Empathy. May you develop C. diff. & have it a long time!"

My allergist prescribed Vantin, and I had gone to him (& taken my son to him) for years & trusted him. He is a genuinely "good" doc. & a caring one -- which didn't keep him from making a decision that ruined my health. (He'd been helpful in treating my sinus infections in the past, and so when he suggested Vantin, I agreed. (It was a "new" antibiotic at the time & now is rarely used because of all the C. diff. it caused.) Not only did it not cure my sinus infection, but I was hospitalized with sinusitus, pneumonia in both lungs, a UTI, and C. diff. I almost missed my son's high school graduation & did miss some of the award ceremonies.

A pharmacist at Mayo told me, "I don't care about all the testing they do, we really don't know about all the side effects of a drug until it's been in the general population for over a year." Wish I'd known that before!!

I am sure you are extremely upset. I know very little about pancreatitis so hope the other poster with it corresponds with you. Remember, however, docs. usually tell you "the worst case scenario" in case of law suits.

Have you called a teaching hospital in your area & asked them to refer you to a GI or ID who is familiar with recurrent/relapsing C. diff.?

Do any of you other posters (or mods.) have suggestions to help Sandy?

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:44 am

Thanks, Bobbie, for your response. I've read on other posts from you about the doc that said "I can't help you" and the story about the Vantin.

Re: worst case scenario. As I said, this doc when telling me about Chronic Pancreatitis was so cavalier, like he was telling me I had a cold. I had to find out about how serious it is on my own. FYI, sounds like the other poster has the very mild Acute Pancreatis that comes on once in a while and taken care of by fasting & resting the Pancreas for a few days.

As I've said many, many times, I don't have C-Diff now. Was supposedly cured in June 2007, but have never got one bit better, and keep getting other things.

I'm limited in who I can see and how far I can travel because I developed Peripheral Neuropathy in both legs from Flagyl, and since I have no family (nor any friends left that still live in my area) I have to try to find people to pay to take me to dr. appts. and able to lift my wheelchair in their car. They want to stay in immediate area. Also have to pay someone to get my groceries every 2 or 3 weeks. It's a nightmare trying to find people.

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Sandy,
Perhaps you have IBS. Symptoms are similar to C. diff. See FAQ-IBS & FAQ-Three Day Rule.

Sounds as though you have more than your share of problems including support from family or friends. I am so sorry.

Sometimes the Peripheral Neuropathy (if Flagyl caused it) will eventually "go away." Let's hope it does.

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:00 am

Bobbie - Wow, you sure are fast with responses, not just to me, but to everyone. Are you on puter day and night? ha ha

No, I don't have symptoms of IBS. Have never had "D" since supposedly cured of C-Diff in June 2007. Just have never recovered. My only digestive symptoms are unrelenting 24/7 nausea, mild bloating after eating more than a piece of toast, mild abdominal discomfort, and loss of taste buds. Tried to drink a Pepsi that I love the other day and it didn't even taste like a Pepsi. And the 40 lb. weight loss that I've never been able to put back on even one pound. I'm 5'8" & only weigh 98 lbs.

Re Peripheral Neuropathy. It's been 16 months and no improvement. In fact, I got it after the first time I was ever sick in my life and had my gallbladder removed on 11/28/06. Had 5 days of IV Flagyl and woke up one morning 7 weeks later & couldn't hardly walk. Had none of the diseases that cause it, and the only med I had ever taken on the list that causes it was Flagyl. Had to find a PCP as never had one. He kept dismissing it and said "just walk." Then after a trip to ER for a breathing problem scare in March 2007 where I must have touched something filthy, came down with C-Diff within a few days and gave me more Flagyl. Then more Flagyl again in April 2007. I ended up hiring someone to take me to the top-rated Michigan Institute for Neurological Disorders (luckily it was close by) on my own with no referral & no insurance in late May 2007 where I was finally diagnosed. I've been faithfully doing leg strengthening exercises at home, but hasn't helped. After $88,00 in hospital bills & Vanco, couldn't afford to go daily to a rehab facility, plus had no way to get there. Long story as to why I can't take a cab.

This post has sure changed from the original topic!

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:02 am

What a difference a zero can make - that should read $88,000. Sorry.

Sandy

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 28, 2008 1:26 am

Sandy,
I'm not on the computer as much as I used to be -- tired after 8 yrs. of helping mod. this site.

Again, sorry about your problems. I've had many since I had C. diff. the lst time 15 yrs. ago. (No idea if they are related to C. diff.; probably some are; some aren't.) Your problems evidently started before C. diff.

Surely, someone can diagnose your GI problems. Have you thought of going to the U. of Mich. Med. Center? I saw Dr. Fekety (former head of ID) there many years ago. Without insurance, however, I'm sure you are limited. Surely, you qualify for disability insurance? Keep up with the exercise. Maybe someday it will help.

If your Peripheral Neuropathy can be definitely traced to Flagyl, have you thought about consulting an attorney? This is a hard path, however, & one few win. You might consult one on a "contigency" basis (no win, no pay; win -- big percentage for him/her). Seldom advise people to go that route. I considered it & was in the legal field. Because I was a middle-aged woman with a middle income, and no one dependant on me, I wasn't a good candidate for big bucks.

Anyone else have any advice for Sandy? You have our support, Sandy. Many of us know what it is like to be healthy & then besieged with health problems. I am fortunate to have good insurance, however. Thank God for small favors.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”