What time of day to take 1 probiotic after C-Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sks001
Regular Contributor

What time of day to take 1 probiotic after C-Diff?

Postby sks001 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi All - I haven't posted in a while as I'm still sooooo sick and nauseous all the time even though I was supposedy cured of C-Diff in June 2007, and getting worse ... have never been able to gain even one lb. of the 40 that I lost and look like a skeleton.

I was just wondering what is the best time of day to take a probiotic if you're only taking one a day? Is late evening best whie bowel is at rest? Also, if I up it to two per day, what times would be best?

Know not supposed to give medical advise, just looking to see what works for different people.

Bless this site and all the great people. Hope it never goes away.

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Whenever it is easiest for you to remember. ALWAYS take on full stomach if you are already nauseated. I highly suggest primadolphilus reuteri to stabilize your weight loss and actually give your appetite back. I was the first to discover this and it has helped many. When I was taking 3 (intense therapy) reuteri I took one at breakfast, one at lunch and one at dinner making sure I spaced them out from the vanco. If it is not meal time and you have forgotten to take it you can eat plain crackers along with it to help ward off the nausea. If nausea continues you might want to have gallbladder ultra-sound----they did that on me after I was nauseated for over 3 years and found I had small gallstones! Also, you might want to forego the probiotics altogether for a few days (a week) and see if they are making you nauseous. Always let your doc know your game plan. good luck
Cindy

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:30 pm

Thanks Cindy for your response. I've seen soooo many of your responses about primadolphilus reuteri that I finally got some and want to start taking them. Appreciate your telling me your experience and about needing to take them with food. Since I can't eat breakfast and lunch, only very light dinner and small snacks, guess I'll start taking 1 with dinner or a snack. If I tolerate it, I'll go for 2 a day so see if it helps.

Funny that you mention gallladder. That was the first time I was ever sick in my entire life (other than colds, etc.). Had 3 attacks in Oct. & Nov. 2006 so had to have it out as an emergency on 11/28. I wasn't one of the lucky ones that have 1 attack and then go years before another. Instead of going home the next day, I ended up staying 5 days on clear liquids, IV Flagyl and nausea meds every 4 hours. Sent me home still on clear liquids. Didn't take Vicodin Rx'd for pain as had never taken meds before & was afraid of that drug. Toughed it out with Extra Strength Tylenol. Was back in ER a week later still so nauseous. They tried to tell me I had stomach virus. Knew I didn't because I'm completely alone and had not seen one person.

I got my really bad C-Diff from touching something dirty in ER on a later visit. Spent 9 days hospitaized each time twice in March & April. Supposedly cured after long Vanco taper in June, but have never recovered and no-one can tell me why. Latest doctor told me I have Chronic Pancreatitis that has calciified. Have also deveoped several other things after C-Diff (some devastating), but don't know how much is related to after effects of C-Diff.

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 01, 2008 1:41 am

Sandy,
Am so sorry about your health problems. You sound like both Cindy & me -- one thing after another. AND like us, we wonder if it's C. diff. related, genetic, aging, or just plain bad luck. Although I was healthy before C. diff. (except for sinus problems & allergies), I've developed about one new problem a year since my first bout of C. diff. in l993-l997.

See both FAQ-Probiotics & Treatments for more info. about probiotics. Some need to be taken on a full stomach as Cindy said about p. reuteri; some on an empty stomach. I'd call the manufacturer & ask. (Most have a 1-800 #.)

I know primadolphilus reuteri helped Cindy. I've tried several. I now take l/2 pkg. VSL3 a day in between meals. When I was on Vanco. I took it as far apart from the Vanco. as possible, too. It's very expensive, & I've tried to get the manufacturer to give board members a discount ---left a lot of msgs. with product rep. -- no response. There is some research behind it & they are prompt about sending -- has to be shipped on ice.

Probiotics are still considered "iffy" by some experts & those of us with C. diff. Soom swear a certain probiotic helped them & Dr. Kelly Karpa (a pharmacologist/pharmacist/professor) said VSL3 "cured" her 4 yr. old son's C. diff. (Info. on her & her book are in either Treatments or FAQ-Probiotics.) My son's former ped. GI (who saved his life when he had C.diff.) is now a product rep. for Culturelle. I believe one study showed Culturelle is more helpful for children than adults.

One thing I wouldn't do is take too many probiotics. Try one or at the most two at a time. Afraid it's like everything with C diff.: trial & error. I was fortunate to not have much nausea with C. diff. but had all the other wonderful symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon. You've had a long, hard road. I think Cindy holds our C. diff. record of 6 yrs.; I'm in 2nd place with a 4-yr. run & had it a 2nd time two yrs. later. (Don't panic --- both of us had other factors that extended our bouts with it. Sounds as though this is what happened to you.

What finally "cured" me was Dr. Allen's broth altho. it didn't work the lst time. See Doctors - Dr. Mark Allen KC. (Several others on the site have tried it without success. He now says it is better to have 2 or 3 treatments with it. For more info. call his nurse Cheryl. She is a sweetheart & will tell you more about the procedure. Mention my name. (It won't get you or me a discount, however.) You might also consider the infusions, but pancreatitis might be a complication. I don't know that much about it.

To gain back weight, I drank 2 cans of Ensure Plus (vanilla -- very cold) a day. It took me years to add back the 20 lbs. I lost. See FAQ-Nutrition.

Good luck. You've been through hell & many of us can relate. Best wishes & continue to post. We understand what you are going through.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”