I have a question about a bloodtest

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Karien
Regular User

I have a question about a bloodtest

Postby Karien » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:29 am

Hi friends!

I hope someone out there can help me with my question. I had a bloodtest done and it came back with elevated BUN and elevated RDW. Is this a reason to be concerned?

I called the doctor and his assistant brushed me off saying it's nothing. Doc has no time to talk to me, so I put my hope in getting an answer in you guys.

Bun/Creatine Ratio was 24 Normal is: 6-22
RDW (Red Cell distribution width) was 15.7 Normal is: 11-15

It's only slightly elevated, but the RDW means anemia, according to google and the BUN could mean blood in intestinal tract. That's why I am a little concerned.

My chlosterol was too high also, but that's not related to CDiff I think??
Stupid assistant told me to diet and exorcise. I lost 35 pounds and I am thin as it is and I do exorcise.

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!
Karien

jaspore
Regular User

hope this helps

Postby jaspore » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:36 pm

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understan ... c/faq.html

The above is a website I use often. My memory is dull, but it seems those two readings were also off on my most recent blood tests. How were your white blood cells?
How was you alkaline phosphatase? I know those two were off on mine as well. I don't have time right now to look them up....but the above website may be of some help, if not now, in the future?
Also anemic, and have had blood in my urine for years w/o an analysis.
Sometimes it seems if they don't have a pill, they don't have an answer?
Don't mean to be mean, but some seem on such tight 10 minute appts, that you always are left feeling like a useless number. Then there are those that take all the time in the world..........they're just harder to come by? LEt me know if this helps..........I have a feeling if we could all have a c differ conference.......we could come up with answers, don't you?
BUT.....who would come? They would probably find an island for us somewhere in the Congo! ha

Keep your spirits up no matter what.........stress definitely makes this worse! Hang in there!
JASPORE

Wilmington, NC

labgirl
Contributor

Postby labgirl » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:45 pm

Karien- Your doctor is right... there is no reason to be concerned. Most doctors aren't concerned about BUN unless your creatinine is elevated too. My BUN runs a little high but it's still ok. And as for the RDW, many CBC reports do not even report that value. You should be more concerned about your WBC or hemoglobin, which I assume is in the normal range since you didn't mention it. So rest easy... your labwork sounds normal!

Karien
Regular User

Postby Karien » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:40 pm

Thank you Jas + Labgirl for the good info.
Website was good and of course who could know better than our labgirl!
Karien

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”