probotic question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

probotic question

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:42 am

Hey everyone just had a question regarding probotics. I have been taking Florastor during my vanco taper and I took it the past 6 weeks after I was off the vanco. However, today is my last 2 pills, and I am wondering if I should get another bottle or just stop taking it. I am just PETRIFIED that if I stop then I will relapse because what if the florastor is what is keeping it under control, then again I would like to see if my good bacteria is good on it's own. I am so confused I don't know what to do, so I would LOVE everyone's opinion on the subject. Thanks so much for all your guys help as usual!!!

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:09 am

I think its your own call. I was on one during vanco after for 1 1/2 years after and just stopped it a few months ago. I was finally back to normal for a couple months but I am now starting to have very loose stools again. It sucks not knowing why. So I now started the probiotic again to see what happens. I really felt alot better not taking it til now. This stuff is so confusing. Maybe just cut down to everyother day??

mommy2maddi
Regular User

Postby mommy2maddi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:13 am

my gastro said there is no harm in continuing probiotics, it keeps things in check. If anything he reccomends to healthy people that they take probiotics. I certainly will continue forever with probiotics to avoid going through all of this again!

Nicole

8 months pregnant
Mommy to Maddi
Hoping to be cured after 1 round of Flagyl!

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:18 am

My doctors say the same thing good idea to take em forever, there good for you. I just thought id try not to. I was getting sick of taking pills everyday and mine have to be in the frig. I tried ALign but it made me very sick. Is there any others that dont have to be in the frig?

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:34 am

Yeah I guess there is no harm in taking them. I just asked the pharamist on the florastor website awhile ago, and he said he thought it was better to not take them if you didn't need them. Well this is with the florastor anyway because he said if your good bacteria is back on it's own, then the florastor doesn't do anything for you. However, I am not sure if mine is, so maybe I should just continue taking them for awhile longer maybe for the 90 days. Thanks guys.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Sat May 03, 2008 7:59 pm

I'm getting really nervous stopped taking Florastor this Monday, and I have been okay so far. I just hope that the 6 weeks off the vanco was enough time for my good flora to be restored. What does everyone think that I have been okay since Monday off the Florastor do you think that means I'll do fine. I am just paranoid all over again like I was when I stopped the vanco, but it is day 48 today off that never thought I would even make it this far. Any thoughts on if my good bacteria would be back? Thanks as always!!!!!!!!!!

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sat May 03, 2008 9:49 pm

I think chances are (jOHNNY mATHIS) you ll be ok but be like me "The Monk" and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash your hands all the time everywhere and keep them out of your mouth :)

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:15 pm

Oh believe I do. I wash them so much they are so darn dry it's disgusting LOL!!! And I NEVER put them in my mouth anymore. I use to be a nail biter too and that stopped quickly!!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 04, 2008 1:43 am

jankelly,
I was on Florator (than called S. boulardii in a blind study many years years ago).Was than on compassionate usage for 2 yrs. Didn't help me or harm me. (The people were wonderful, however.) After 4 yrs. of C. diff., I tried Dr. Allen's broth again. (It didn't work the lst time.) This time it worked -- no one was more surprised than I was. (See Doctors - Dr. Mark Allen, KC). It worked again (the lst time) when I had C. diff. after being hospitalized with another bout of pneumonia.

Florator has worked for some. C. diff. is a very individual disease. What works for some doesn't work for others. I don't think it achieved the potential the docs. hoped it had. (It was originally a OTC for D. in France.)

Keep trying. Do what you "feel" (not necessarily know) is right. You will eventually recover.

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Sat May 10, 2008 12:55 am

I think its all what you believe, If you doing fine without , chances are you will.. I didn't take any when I went off and I'm ok... its up to the person and their body.... Your almost to that safe zone of being c diff free!! congrats

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Sat May 10, 2008 9:32 am

Thanks Diane I am hoping I am going to be c-diff free. Sunday will be 8 weeks, and they have actually gone by fast thank goodness. I really haven't had severe c-diff symptoms nothing like I had when I actually had c-diff, but my stomach is always still so loud and makes so many noises or maybe it's the Florastor who knows. That makes me nervous, but I guess it's just healing since it's been the 8 weeks and I haven't had any D at all. What do you guys think?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:06 pm

jenkelly,
I wouldn't worry about the noises. I used to get a lot of noises just before I relapsed, but the D would come very soon. Without D it sounds to me like you are well on the road to recovery. Good luck.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”