Stool sample and relapse!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
mommy2maddi
Regular User

Stool sample and relapse!

Postby mommy2maddi » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:25 pm

Hi,

I have been searching for the answers and have yet to find them. I finished my last pill on my first round of Flagyl yesterday. My doctor wants me to submit a stool sample on Monday, a day and a half after finishing.

1. When do most relapse? Some right away? I know within a few weeks, how many within days?

2. Is it too soon to do a stool sample on Monday since I have just gotten off the Flagyl or would it render a false negative?

I really appreciate your support! Thanks in advance

Nicole

8months pregnant
hoping to be cured after 1 round of Flagyl

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:14 pm

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are cured after the 1 round of flagyl. When I relapsed the first time was 4 days off the flagyl and the second time was 6 days off the flagyl. I know most people say to wait 10-12 days off the medicine to get an accurate stool sample. However, I did mine I think 4 days after and it came back positive, but I think to get the most ACCURATE the waiting time should be the 10-12 days. Hope this helps and good luck.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:08 am

Nicole,
My relapses were all between 3-5 days after Flagyl or vanco. I believe that most people relapse within about 2 weeks, but we say that you are safe after 90 days (some say 70 days).

If I were you, I'd talk to my doc about waiting longer before taking a stool sample, since your odds of a false negative are high if you take one so soon after stopping Flagyl.

I surely hope you have beaten the beast. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

mommy2maddi
Regular User

Postby mommy2maddi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:10 am

thank you for your responses. I am hoping that you two are right that I have beaten the "beast" and only time will tell! I am loaded up on Florastor, Culturelle and Align and I truly hope those keep it gone!

I plan on calling my doctor today to submit a stool sample later in the week or next week. I already have a refill of Flagyl on hand so that I do not have to wait for a stool sample if I notice symptoms have reappeared. I will you keep you posted and really appreciate the responses. It is scary being 8 months pregnant and feeling this way, I want it over!

Nicole

8 months pregnant
Mom to Maddi
Hopefully C-Diff free after 1 round of Flagyl

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:12 am

If theres no D why does he want a sample? I think you need to have the D to get an accuate test anyway. Thats just what I thought.

mommy2maddi
Regular User

Postby mommy2maddi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:40 pm

No one told me that had to be the case. Does anyone else know?

Thanks
Nicole

8 months pregnant
Mommy 2 Maddi
Hoping to be cured of C Diff after 1 round of Flagyl!

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:44 pm

I never heard that had to be the case. However, my doctor told me that the stool sample was unnecessary because I would know if I relasped and just get back on the vanco. However, for my own peace of mind I wish I did get a stool test just to reassure myself it was gone. But my insurance doesn't cover my c-diff since it is new and the c-diff was prior to coverage, so I didn't want to spend unnecessary money. I figured if I had no symptoms I would just let it be. Since you have it I would just get it done that way you can just reassure yourself that it is gone!!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”