Here I grow again!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jaspore
Regular User

Here I grow again!

Postby jaspore » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:49 pm

Someone else is gaining weight with C DIFF? IDK....I'm on my 4th reoccurrence, 4th prescription of Flagyl...doing 2000 mg each day! I think I'm full from that! Perhaps I haven't gained, but I sure feel like a float in a parade!( As big and bloated as I am, I feel even bigger!
My CDAD began after Clindamycin was prescribed for a tooth...that was in November 07, and my life has changed so much since then!
I'm in NC...can't find a doc whom knows what the heck I'm talking about.....they won't rx me the Vancomycin....
Seems like I'm constipated for a few days before the outburst of spores galore! (nice way to put it)...anyone else feel that way?
Also read from another group member, that it seemed there's a correlation in sugar intake, which I had considered also?
So many questions!!!! I'm new in the group, and sure hope to find answers......

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:17 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to an answer also............
Are we contagious and to what extent? I asked my GI doc...and she looked like a monkey scratching her head. She only said, she'd never heard of it being spread anywhere but in a hospital.
Then again, she's also the doc who thought my third reoccurence was anxiety?
Then I ask myself....how does it spread in the hospital?
Personally , I have no doubt that this could very well be spread in our homes to our loved ones, in department store lavoratories, etc...........
the spores can live for weeks.
Keep bleach in your lavoratories at home, wash hands, and pray pray pray!
IF more men were plagued with this, we'd be getting more answers!
Sorry....it's just that I'm very frustrated that I had never heard of this before. Frustrated that I was given Clindamycin when my dr knew I already had IBS.... Other countries acknowledge and take preventative measures before surgeries, etc. Probiotics.............
Couldn't the use of the cephalosporins at least be modified?

Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:03 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Jaspore...and new to this site, which I'm finding quite overwhelming really! My board certified GI said that this stuff was not contagious! Yeah!! Said it was only contagious in hospitals! I've been taking precautions in the home lavorities anyway(bleach), and washing hands compulsively.....but now I'm really confused!
JASPORE

Wilmington, NC

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:52 pm

jaspore,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First. There you will see guidelines about posting, and Roy has given you good advice. Also check out Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

You ask in another post about how contagious cdiff is. It is a bacterial infection, so it is spread by the fecal-oral route. That means if someone who has not washed their hands well and has cdiff touches something, and then you touch it, you can pick up the bug. Generally your intestinal flora is healthy enough to outcompete it, but if you take antibiotics, have chemo, are in the hospital (or even have other problems), cdiff can take over and you can become ill. So yes, it is contagious, although it is generally considered not very. Almost no one here has given it to any family members. Wash your hands very well. See the hygiene info in FAQ for more info.

I agree with Roy that you should look for another doc. Some of us use GI docs and others use ID docs. You need one who knows something about cdiff! Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”