Surgery with C-Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Barbara
New User

Surgery with C-Diff?

Postby Barbara » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:55 pm

My father has had c-diff for the last month or so. He's on Vanco now and doing better. At some point in the next couple months he needs to have his gallbladder removed. It's not critical, but it needs to be done.

Is surgery performed on a patient with c-diff?

Thanks.

Barbara

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:13 pm

not likely at all....i e complications may arise immune system is too stressed as well with many times AB's being need! Not now be patient till fully healed recovered Why removal...is it acid reflux the issue heartburn or stones or what?

Barbara
New User

Postby Barbara » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:21 pm

Gallstones. Going to be done laproscopicly.

paulah
Regular Contributor

Postby paulah » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:12 pm

After surgery your body functions shut down for awhile, that's why you can't go to the bathroom for a few days. If you have cdiff and can't eliminate it from the body, all those toxins build up. I had a serious liver operation and no one knew I had cdiff. Didn't go to the bathroom for 3 days afterward. I think that's why I have IBS now, guts are very sensitive.
I don't know if your body functions shut down after lap. surgery, I know they do if you are cut open.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”