Pregnancy After C-Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
toni
New User

Pregnancy After C-Diff

Postby toni » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:19 pm

I am reaching out to anyone who became pregnant after fighting C-Diff. I went off my meds in October but still took probiotics daily. October and November were still very unpleasant months for me (I had to have fissure surgery in Nov which was a nightmare all of its own). Then December and January were actually a big improvement (still a few iffy days but the good far outnumbered the bad)and I kept thinking I'd be ready to write a Success Story in another month or so since I had some good advice I wanted to pass along. Then February came and I got pregnant! I wanted another child so I was happy but right away I started thinking I hope this is not too soon given my recent fight with the beast. Well, just days after finding out I was pregnant, intense IBS type symptoms started. I became extremely gassy, bloated, and my stomach felt like it had been punched a million times. This was 24/7 and persisted all through March and now April. I also started experiencing bouts of D--not chronic like with the C-diff but for a day here and there, with occurrences now as often as once a week. When I get the D I get weak and don't feel like eating much--a feeling that will last even after the D subsides. I have been to my Gastro doctor and he pretty much told me that he can't do a colonoscopy or anything else for me because of the preganncy. He said I probably have a "serious post infectious irritable bowel." I would believe this except for the fact that I did not have IBS after the C-diff and in Dec and Jan (the two months prior to becoming pregnant) I was eating all kinds of foods with no issues. My OB just says talk to your Gastro so I am getting no where with my OB either. I am just really scared that something else could be going on and that I am doing nothing. I am also so scared for the baby since I should be eating more and gaining weight. I spent most of my days crying and worrying (a cruel reminder of the many months I spent doing that because of C-diff). What I am going through is debilitating some days and I don't know how I can get through 7 more months of this. If anyone has had anything remotely similar happen to them, I would really love to hear from you. Thanks.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”