New to the 'club'

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
rafter
New User

New to the 'club'

Postby rafter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:41 pm

Hello,

My doctor's office called last Friday to tell me my stool sample tested positive for c diff. Less than two weeks ago, I had never heard of c diff.
Doctor phoned in a prescription for Flagyl (250mg, three times a day).

I am glad to have found this site. I know I will have many questions, but at this time I don't even know where to start asking.

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and hope he will have lots of information for me, but I am afraid he might not be up on it.

Brief history - I am a 51 year old female. I started having pressure under my breastbone (hernia, maybe??) about two months or so ago. At the same time things just did not feel right in my digestive system. First a few sharp pains in various areas, mostly below breastbone and under left ribcage. This was followed with burning pains. Have had loose, green bowel movements during this time. Mostly only once a day.

Went to doctor a month ago. He put me on Protonix for the burning although I told him I never have heartburn or reflux. Two weeks ago, I ask him to run a stool test because I had been out of the country in the past year and was thinking possible parasites. He also ordered that the sample be tested for c diff. Until I saw the order, I had never heard of it. He said when writing the order, he didn't think I had it. Glad he ordered it anyway.

I have not taken antibiotics since 2002. At that time I had "D" for three days and cramps. I have not been in the hospital either, so guess I am somewhat 'atypical' as to a c diff patient.

From what I have read here and on other sites, I have a mild case. Still in all honesty, I am afraid. This is all so new, confusing, and scary.

Thanks for listening. I will have questions, I am sure.

rafter

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:32 pm

rafter,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

Most people (about 80%) beat cdiff after 1-2 rounds of Flagyl or vanco, so I really hope that you are in the lucky majority. I believe that more people have been getting cdiff lately without previous antibiotic use, or being in the hospital. Protonix and other PPIs increase your chances of getting cdiff, because less stomach acid lets cdiff survive more readily (if I'm understanding this correctly).

Good luck. We're always here for your questions. Let us know how it goes.

rafter
New User

Postby rafter » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:30 pm

Went to the doctor today. Another part of my stool test had come back and it showed I also have Aeromonas Hydrophila :(

New to me. I am learning more about bad bacteria than I ever wanted to know. The doctor said the Flagyl I am on for c diff will not get rid of the new one. So I am now on Cipro (500mg).

My system does not handle antibiotics well, so dread having to add it to the Flagyl. We do what we must I guess. I did pick up some Culturelle today and am eating lots of yogurt.

Anyone on here familiar with Aeromonas Hydrophila?

rafter

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:39 pm

Cipro plus levaquin is what gave me cdiff in the first place, and others have gotten cdiff after taking Cipro, so I agree with Roy, if you want to get rid of cdiff, Cipro is not going to help. I've never heard of the other bug.

rafter
New User

Postby rafter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:50 am

roy wrote:Do you mean you are on Cipro and Flagyl at the same time?
Thats not a combination I would want to be on if I had C.diff

Cipro to a C.differ is a swear word!

Roy

Yes, he told me to continue the Flagyl to kill off the c diff. He said the Flagyl would not get rid of the Aero. Hydr. and prescribed the Cipro for it.

Are you saying the Cipro might make my c diff worse? I am so confused. Help please.

rafter

rafter
New User

Postby rafter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:58 am

My test showed I have "light growth of normal intestinal flora". In other words my good bacteria is to low, right? So this let the bad guys get over populated, right?

I know I am killing off what few good ones I have left with all the Flagyl and now the Cipro.

I am eating yogurt. Taking Culturelle and started back on my Multidophilus-12. Trying to help my good bacteria have a chance to re-populate.

I am scared.

rafter
New User

Postby rafter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:10 am

Please help me understand. Are you saying the combo might make me worse?

Since I already have C diff, can the combo hurt. Will the Flagyl continue to work against the C diff, while the Cipro gets rid of the other one??

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:20 am

I would not take cipro. Is there anything else they can give you for it? Is your cdiff reall bad. Since you know you have it can you treat the other bacteria then the cdiff. I really dont know what to tell you. Id talk with a GI doctor right away and get its opinion. ANd a good one.

rafter
New User

Postby rafter » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:15 pm

roy wrote:
Could you elaborate on your current symptoms? and did the Flagyl alone make an improvment?

The stool test you have had is a lot more detailed than anyone here has had and I am wondering if they did the type of test that detects the actual bacteria and not just the toxins. Many drs would not treat for C.diff unless you had typical symptoms even if bacteria was found

You have already recognised your Dr may not be up to speed with this

I don't know for sure if they tested for the toxins or not. The doctor did not mention them. I have a copy of my report in front of me. It says "CLOS DIFFICILE: POSITIVE (a)" However, I don't think the (a) refers to a toxin because I see the (a) used in other places on the sheet.

I realize you guys can't give medical advice. But I do appreciate learning from those more familiar with this than I.

I don't know if I have typical symptoms or not. I have loose, green stool. Some burning pains in my gut. Loss of appetite on some days. Fatigue. But the other bacteria might cause this, I don't know.

No, I have not improved with the Flagyl. I have not completed the round of it yet. Have been on it since Saturday. My symptoms have really neither improved or worsened. I have only taken 2 Cipro so far.

I am wondering if the probiotics, Culturelle, yogurt can get ahead of the game in getting my flora up to speed.
thanks,
rafter

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:33 pm

Cipro is the mainstay for gut bacteria period I did post c Diff and it resolved my illness HWTA i thought was a relapse but was apparently food poisoning whike in the Mid East. It worked alth I remained feeling like s*** for until 7 months after!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”