Is this the bacteria that causes c-diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jenny
Regular Contributor

Is this the bacteria that causes c-diff?

Postby Jenny » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:00 pm

Pseudomonas aeruginosa
P. aeruginosa is ubiquitous and found nearly everywhere in the environment from water sources to soil. This means it is difficult to avoid and sooner or later people with CF will harbor P. aeruginosa. Mucoid colonies of Pseudomonas aeruginosa are bacterium that are enclosed in a fibrous exopolysaccharide matrix which contributes to the bacteria forming colonies which are more difficult for antibiotics to penetrate. These colonies may also alter the efficacy of normal immune defenses against such bacterium. It has been suggested that the alginate (or slime) produced by P. aeruginosa is in fact a stress response and broader defense mechanism triggered in the bacteria by the CF lung environment.

I recently purchased a UVC Purelight from Sams Club because when I was searching for a means to clean the unbleachable I found a report stating that the UVC light can kill or deactivate c diff. The actual test report does not mention c diff only a list of bacteria. The above bacteria can be killed with UVC light. There are 7 bacteria listed in the report including MRSA, but the above bacteria was the one that seemed closest to the c diff spore criteria.

I know this may seem over the top to some, but I have throw pillows and bedding etc that can not be bleached or even washed and if this product actually works it would put my mind at ease.

Thanks for any info.

Jenny

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:34 pm

Jenny,
I don't know anything about this light. The bacterium that causes cdiff is Clostridium difficile. Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a totally different bacterium. Because Clostridium difficile forms spores, and spores are very hardy, it is very difficult to kill.

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:19 pm

Thanks Nancy,

A further search showed me that Pseudomonas aeruginosa may be related to AAD or AAC but you're right not c diff.

I contacted the importer of the light and they said c diff has not been directly tested but a similar type of bacteria Clostridium tetani are Gram-positive, spore-forming rods that are anaerobic are indeed killed my UV-C. This bacteria causes Tetnus. Does anyone know if these really are similar in their life cycle to c diff?

Thanks

Jenny

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:31 pm

I forgot it also kills bactillus subtilis vegetative and spores. "Gram-positive aerobic or facultative endospore-forming bacteria".
If these bacteria are in deed similar would I be wrong in assuming that there may be some benefit from UVC? I'm going cross eyed trying to read all these bacteriology reports.

Jenny

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:28 pm

Jenny,
Clostridium tetani is similar to Clostridium difficile. What I would ask the importer of the light is if they tested the light against Clostridium tetani spores. Vegetative bacteria (which have not formed spores) are easier to kill. I don't know how the spores of Bacillus subtilis compare with those of Clostridia.

babyram
New User

Postby babyram » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:20 am

Hi all. Since I am a microbiologist I can shed some light on the differences in bacteria.

Pseudomonas is a gram negative rod shapped non-spore forming bacteria whereas Clostridium is a gram positive spore forming anerobic rod. The gram positive and negative information comes from the color reaction with the dye stains that are used to prepare slides of samples. Negative stains pink/red and postive purple. Each bacterium has unique properties and criteria for being produced in a laboratory. Clostridium takes longer to grow because it is an anerobic bug and needs those same conditions to survive and thrive. Clostridium is so difficult in the fact that it does produce spores and grows in conditions of no air, thus it is hard to eradicate. Anthrax is much the same.
There are so many different types of bacteria that range from gram postive, negative, cocci, rods, chains, clusters, anerobic, aerobic, etc etc etc.
I hope this helped you somewhat. It is a nasty world out there.

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:18 am

Thank you all for your responses. I have done some more research not conclusive. It seems that the bactillus subtilis and clostridium difficile are close relatives and that UV light does have an impact on bactillus subtillus spores. So with that in mind since I already have this light I figure it certainly can do no harm if used properly. I don't think my sofa will feel any pain and it will ease this paranoid ladies mind.

Roy, ROFLMAO, Loved the comment about your dog. I do agree about the bleaching. I don't think I will ever give that up, or the compulsive hand washing.

Babyram, thank you for the biology lesson. Here's a link you may be interested in. I don't know how you do the work you do. These papers are REALLY hard to read. Check out the section on spores and lethal solar UV damage.

Day 13 and counting.

Thanks Again

Jenny

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:51 pm

Jenny- I think paranoia is a way of life for all of us now! I finally have learned to relax and realize whatever is meant to be WILL BE and do the best I can and not worry about the rest. I rest easier now!
Cindy

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”