Question re when to declare victory

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bets
Brand New Poster

Question re when to declare victory

Postby Bets » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:15 pm

I have been off Vanco now for 20 days, off cholestryamine for three and during all this time have felt well with no D. This was after three prior relapses, all of which previously occurred within 7 days of going off the Vanco.

I feel the difference this time was the Probiotics for sure. I am taking Culturelle and s boulardi and drinking alot of KOMBUCHA which is a tea based cultured drink that contains both s boulardii and lactbacillis. It also has a very acidic/vinegary base which I understand C diff does not like.

I have read on this site that relapses after several weeks are more likely new infections. Is that the conventional wisdom?

How long is it recommended to keep up probiotics and extra vigilence re bleaching/hygiene etc? I don't mind doing so indefinitely as anyting is better than this infection.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Bets in California

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:17 pm

Bets,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join, although it sounds like you have beaten the beast. Hurray! Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

I think you are right, that the understanding is that relapses after several weeks are probably new infections. I don't know of any "official" recommendation about the time to keep taking probiotics after going off vanco. I took them for about 6 months after, slowly tapering off of each one after that time.

We will probably always have the spores in our bodies (that is why we always will have to be careful about antibiotics), so we should always keep up the bleaching and hand-washing. I am not quite so obsessive about it as I was during cdiff, but I still bleach in the bathroom, wash my hands many times a day while singing the Happy Birthday song, bleach all towels, and so on. I agree, doing all this is better than cdiff again.

rimbaud
New User

Postby rimbaud » Fri May 02, 2008 9:33 pm

Bets-

I'm curious about your Kambucha, do you make your own or buy it off the shelf?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 03, 2008 2:17 pm

Bets,
See FAQ-Transmission of C. diff. (Info. on "spores") It contains info. on relapsing & recurrent C. diff.

Sounds as though you are on your way to being well. We all hope so.

I'd keep up the probiotics for another 6 mo. or so, as Nancy said, but do ask your doc.

Afraid C.diff. leaves most of us "germ conscious" & extra careful. See FAQ-Hygiene & read about proper handwashing techniques. My "legacy" will be "throwing the towel on the floor" after using it to turn off the tap & open the outside door. You'd be surprised now how many restrooms have a wastebasket by the door -- even in airports!

If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff., do be careful about taking them again. Some can; some can't.

Here's hoping for your recovery.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

I buy......

Postby TheVike » Sat May 03, 2008 7:40 pm

GNC's Acidpohilus Super Probiotic usuall yon seelll for 20.00 100 tablets take one after each dinner meal has 10BIL vaiety of six-eight different good ones I swear it as well as the Dana Active drinks Dan Activia yogurt and one banana a day with a couple to teas straight has been alllllllllllllllllllll the difference in the world for ME!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”