In so much pain again!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
lenyc333
Regular User

In so much pain again!

Postby lenyc333 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:08 pm

Hey all, I am still pretty new here, but thanks for all the great info on cdiff! I am in my second bout with this monster and having so much pain. Much worse than last time. It feels as if there is a knife stabbing me in the abdomen. Is that normal? The cramping feeling is nothing compared to the stabbing. Plus, my abdomen looks like it is swollen? I am also premenstrual, so I could be bloated from that as well. I posted here a few days ago about this pain, and its not getting any better. I am taking Vanco 4X a day. Last time, after just a few days on the Vanco i felt so much better. My fever is 99.2, having some chills, nasea, and dizziness. I have been avoiding going to the ER even though my stupid GI doc said..."well, you shouldnt be in this much pain from cdiff, so go to the ER. I am baffled." Should I go see a different doc? ID doc? Or should I give in and go to the ER?

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:20 pm

Hey when I relapsed the last time it was really bad for me. I was going to the bathroom like every 15 minutes and ended up going to the ER. It was a pointless trip for me because I wasn't dehydrated or anything, but I was just really scared and wanted reassurance I guess that I was going to be okay and it was late on a Friday night. My doctor told me to only go to the ER if I had a fever. He also said to go if I had severe stomach pains. If I was you I would probably judge it on your stomach pains if they are really severe then maybe you should just go to the ER to be on the safe side, but if you think they aren't too bad maybe you can make an appointment with your doctor immediatey. That's just what I would do. Hope this helps you out and I really hope you start feeling better soon!!!

lenyc333
Regular User

Postby lenyc333 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:43 pm

Well, I didnt go to the ER last night. But, i got my CT scan test results back from my doc today...all normal. So, what is going on here?? Why am I in so much pain? Dizzy? Nausea? It doesn't make sense to me??

lenyc333
Regular User

Postby lenyc333 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:40 pm

Correct!! Never tested positive for c.diff. Negative the first time. And tested negative this time too. But i gave the stool sample this time after i started the Vanco. I have read on here that it can make your test come back negative. Not to mention all the false negatives anyway. The first time i was seeing a different GI in the same practice. He said lets treat for c. diff. if you get better we know its c.diff. i got better. within a few days of taking the vanco, i felt sooooo much better! this time its not happening that way. so maybe it is something else?? thats why my doc ordered so many tests. but they all came back normal. blood, urine, stool, and a CT with contrast.

i have been calling my doctor all day and he has not called me back. it seems so silly to go to the ER now, when all the test that they will do there have been done and came back normal.

lenyc333
Regular User

Postby lenyc333 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:12 pm

I had white blood cells in my urine about a week ago when i thought i was having another kidney/bladder infection. but other than that i dont think so. why??

lenyc333
Regular User

Postby lenyc333 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:47 pm

I dont think I have an elevated white blood count. I am assuming that my doctor would have mentioned that. Then again his explanation of my results were very vague and in medical terms. When I asked for him to explain further he said i should come back into the office to talk. and he said he wants to do a colonoscopy now. he just keept on saying...well, i dont know what this is?? i am calling new GI doctors tomorrow morning. i am not listening to this moron anymore. not that a lot of the things he has done arent the "right" things and tests to do, but he is just not nice and has zero bedside manner. he apparently thinks that if it is c.diff, its not a big deal. he says i see this everyday and you shoudnt be in pain cause c.diff is not something to worry about. he also advised me that it is ok for me to go see my new niece and nephew in the NICU! i kind of asked him that to test him. obviously if i have c. diff i should stay away from premature and sick newborns! this guy has no idea what he is talking about.

roy, thanks so much for your help! i think my only option now is to get a new doctor.

pattibb
New User

Postby pattibb » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:32 am

leny, I am also in abdominal pain. I have a long hx with cdiff. i believe I have a new occurrence after taking a double course of z pack. My test for the toxin also came back negative. But the pain, is like a needly, stabbing pain underneath my rib cage from the left to right side. the Reason why I don't place much faith in the tests is that it took over a year and a half when I first got sick with cdiff to have a test come back positive. I did read in an article somewhere that the stool for the c diff sample must not be formed, because enough toxins aren't present. You are supposed to put it on ice and get it to the lab ASAP, as the toxins, if left at room temp can deteriorate within 4 hours, leaving them undetectable. I was never plagued by severe D as many others. My stools, changed, softened, but i always had the cramping, and motility issues. Thank god, I finally had that one positive test all those years ago. I finally was treated properly and recovered. However, I believe it is back again. Again I struggle with getting a positive test. Urrgghh!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”