Can't seem to find an answer about Dogs and C. Diff?? Help!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
lenyc333
Regular User

Can't seem to find an answer about Dogs and C. Diff?? Help!

Postby lenyc333 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:59 pm

I have been searching for days about Dogs and C. Diff. My dog has always had a very sensitive stomach. She tends to pick things up off the street and swallow them...then will have diarrhea for a day or two. But now her diarrhea bouts are happening way too often. I have had C. diff since January. I got better and recently started the Vanco again cause i got sick again.

I guess my big question is....are my dog and I passing the C. diff back and forth to each other? She just finished another round of Metro, but has a skin infection and is taking antibiotics. I am afraid that she is going to get diarrhea and possibly c. diff again from the antibiotics. I am also really afraid that we are just going to keep on passing it to each other.

Does anyone have information on this for me? I spoke with our vet, and she told me that dogs can get C. diff. But she thought it was unlikely that she got it from me. I am not so sure?? There was also a doggy bug going around my neighborhood. A lot of dogs had bad diarrhea for weeks. I think it is still going around too cause I see a lot of diarrhea on the streets. So, what is the deal with dogs and C. diff?? If she and I are passing it back and forth, how do I stop this cycle?? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:03 am

leny- In fact dogs can get cdiff but many dogs with sensitive stomachs have diarrhea frequently for no apparent reason. I have an australian shepherd who kept diarrhea it seemed for 2 months straight. I was told finally to put him on Purina One dog food and nothing else and over a period of time it helped. The vet also had me give him 1 (75mg) zantac per day for about a month. It cured him right up. I also now give them yogurt once per week as a treat (plain) and they love it. Also you can now buy doggie probiotics! Hope your pet gets well soon---I doubt it is the cdiff being spread back and forth between you if good hygiene is practiced and the dog does not drink from toilet.
Cindy

lenyc333
Regular User

Postby lenyc333 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:28 pm

Exactly Roy....if she sniffs the poop on the streets, she has whatever is going on here! I am trying to keep her as far away from other dogs feces as possible. One dog in my building had Giardia. My dog, Bella was negative for it. The doctor didn't test for cdiff yet. She said she thinks its unlikely, and if she continues with the diarrhea, than she will test for it. Do you know if dogs come back with false negatives like we do too?? Bella has always had a very sensitive belly. She now eats ONLY her dog food after a food trial cause of her allergies to a lot of dog food ingredients. Now the doctor started her on a probiotic and an antihistamine cause she has allergies. I am also giving her a tablespoon of plain activa yogurt a day. she loves it. she is doing good for now. but i am waiting for it to come back again....just like me.

Bella and I practice very good hygiene. She is bathed regularly, as am I...lol. She does not drink from the toilet. I don't even let her in the bathroom unless i am giving her a bath. Otherwise, she is allowed everywhere else in the apartment. On the bed, couch, rugs, etc... So, i have been thinking cause she and I are so close and we spend so much time together, maybe we are passing it back and forth?? I have not been able to find any definitive data on this possibility??

lenyc333
Regular User

Postby lenyc333 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:17 pm

I guess you are right, if she had it things would probably be worse. At times I have had to take her out every two hours to make, but that was just for a short period of time. Now, she is able to go regularly. When the diarrhea was its worst...pure liquid shooting out....i am not sure if that was c.diff or another bug or an allergy reaction. She is a Golden Retriever, and so sweet!! I just hate to see her suffer at all.

I NEVER give her chocolate! It can kill her. She doesn't get any people food other than things like yogurt that are first approved by the vet. I used to give her other vet approved snacks like peanut butter, melon, and carrots. but now that her belly isnt in great shape i am sticking to her food and yogurt only. just to make sure its not an allergy issue.

Thanks for your help! I feel a bit better just talking about it all. And maybe she would be sicker if she had what her mommy has....lol!

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi lency333,

just a note of empathy: I have had the same thoughts and fears with my doggy darling. She doesn't live with me but my brother and I don't see her often, but I have been wondering too. She had D when I did and it seems that whenever I do spend some time with her - and we are very close when we are together, she sleeps in my arms, she gets a millon pecks on her ears ;-) - I seem to be feeling worse afterwards. She too has been on various ABs lately... Who knows. She doesn't have D now, but if she did and we seriously suspected c diff I would have her stool tested too. Very unlikely though I am telling myself.

JennyWest
Brand New Poster

Postby JennyWest » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:58 pm

I wondered about this myself, about 2-3 years ago we had to put a dog to sleep she was about 2 years old and she developed D. She went on antibiotics, I tried the yogurt daily, and acidophilus daily. She continued to get worse,and eventually went to throwing up, would eat and drink like a horse, but continued to lose weight. When she looked like we were starving her, and she wasn't getting any better, be became concerned over the issue of health for the family, we were digging holes to bury the D in.

Now, my son has C. Diff, and it has been on my mind that I wonder if he got
it from her or from the ground maybe??? My son has had problems for about 2 years but I did not know what he had, I always thought it was a lactose intolerance problem.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:41 pm

To all previous questions in this thread about animals & C. diff., see [i]FAQ-Animals & C. diff.[/i]

I'd also call your vet. I know 2 retired vets. & am going to asked them about C. diff. Neither had heard of it, but I might ask them to do some more "checking."

Jennie West,
Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics – especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and some of the topics in FAQ – especially Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

If you read some of the info., you'll get a better understanding about C. diff. Many times antibiotics are linked to the disease. Has your son been on any lately? Other "good" ways to pick it up are hospitals, nursing homes, or even day care -- anywhere where people live in close proximity. To my understanding, it is even in soil.

I'd take your son to a good ped. GI & try to find one who is familar with recurrent/ relapsing C. diff.

Let's hope your son is one of the lucky ones who recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vanco. If antibiotics contributed to his C. diff., be careful about him taking them again. (See FAQ-Antibiotics.) Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop C. diff. again. (See Dr. Borody’s article.)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”