3 time with Cdiff- can one keep a job, recover, handle stres

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
musicgirl180
Regular User

3 time with Cdiff- can one keep a job, recover, handle stres

Postby musicgirl180 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:27 am

So, I am 37 and have had c-diff three times in 8 years. I have never posted before.

But now I am more scared than ever. This time I wasn't even on antibiotics. I thought that was the only time I would need to be concerned.

The day I got sick I had just started a magnesium supplement. Unbelieveable.

Many not-so-great things have happened, including toilet overflows, anxiety about getting others sick, hairloss, false negative tests, doctor who wouldn't believe me and barely apologized after admitting the lab misread results during my relapse--she said it was anxiety. I'm sorry, there's no mistaking cdiff when it's at it's worse.

My question to you all is about working and stress and recovery. I can't tell if most sufferers are still working. I just started a job-a very intense corporate job, lotsa hours and demands. I can feel my stomach turning during meetings and when I have to perform in front of new clients. I just relapsed the 4th day on the job and am back on Vanco. I know stress can irriate IBS-I'm fine with that. I just don't know if stress can keep someone from recovering, encourage the bacteria. Anyone have thoughts/ experience on this topic?

Ugh!

I'm grateful to learn there are others out there like me and that we can get better--or so I'm reading.

mayotte
Contributor

Postby mayotte » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:54 am

I am a school teacher, currently on a medical leave of absence for this school year due to c.diff. I was really ill for about five months, and have spent the last several months trying to gain weight, and deal with the IBS that this disease has left me with. It was a difficult decision to make, but I just could not teach having to use the bathroom, and feeling so weak. Financially it has been a nightmare, but it was the right decision. I found that life did go on, and I have learned patience and acceptance. As my recovery progressed,, my anxiety level went down as well. I did learn that I had to take care of myself, and this time has allowed me to do that. I do understand what c.diff can do to your life...but nothing lasts forever.

WOWOWOW
Regular User

Postby WOWOWOW » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:44 pm

Working with c-diff is a challenge. I also have a stressful job and found stress made symptoms worse. The owner of the company is very understanding ,as his wife suffers from cancer.He has allowed me to step down from running projects and work when I can. If you feel your employer would be understanding it may be worth exploring alternative
assignments until this passes,and it will pass.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:58 pm

musicgirl,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

Whew, cdiff 3 times!! And no antibiotics this last time, that is surprising. I have heard that if your immunity gets knocked down for whatever reason (chemotherapy, illness, and so on), cdiff can come back. Did you have an illness prior to this time?

A number of people here have worked during their cdiff. (I was newly retired, so luckily I didn't have to work.) The main advice I've heard is to know where the bathroom is. Also, if you can get your doc to let you take a sample and then get right onto vanco as soon as you start a relapse, you might not have to lose too much time from work. My father and my sister died during my cdiff, and my experience was that stress makes for more bathroom runs, even on vanco. I don't know if stress encourages the bacteria -- good question.

You are not alone. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:43 pm

I'm a career Firefighter/medic. I've relasped numerous times and forced myself to work through them. Some tricks that I've used are carry some chewable Pepto-Bismo tablets to calm your stomach, some Rolaids Gas Plus chews for gas, and some prescription hyoscamine for spasms
( Nulev). That has gotten me through most situations. Stress can sure be a trigger. I take what is causing the stress apart and deal with it. (such as I've done this before and it wasn't a problem) The most important part is to deal with the disease, don't let it control you, especially your head. You've been through this before and know that you are going to have bad days, it's just part of the roller coaster ride. You've got to remember that you will beat this. Try to ignore the bad days ( they are just that) and focus on the good days and your projects. Keep track of your gains, that's a way to know that you're healing and making progress.

musicgirl180
Regular User

thanks all

Postby musicgirl180 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:49 pm

Thank you all all for the replies. Wow! This is cool!

I will continue working and see how it goes. If people can show up to fight fires, I can show up for conversation and paperwork. Thanks for the encouragement.

In response to the question about being sick prior, I don't know. I had a few drinks the night before. Also turns out my frig was a bit broken--so hard to pinpoint. The only thing I can say for sure is that I took a big dose of magnesium which I now know can upset the flora. C-diff wasn't even on my mind. I just didn't know I could get it without being on anitb's.

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:40 am

interesting about the magnesium, does it really upset bowel flora? When I started having a really bad time 2 weeks ago I had been snacking on a cereal that had added magnesium. I wonder if that could of triggered things? It sure is a challenge trying to figure this all out!

babyram
New User

Postby babyram » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:52 am

Just an answer to all of you about magnesium. Magnesium does not harm your normal flora nor does it kill it. I only know because I have been on mag supplements for 5 years now. It has a laxative effect (Milk of Magnesia etc etc) and can make your stools mushy and runny, which is why people with chronic constipation take it. The small amounts that are found in foods are not nearly enough to upset your system.
I have had 2 fissures, one thanks to the aftermath of C. Diff, and mag makes it easier to go. I know it is the opposite of what those of us on this site want!! Most people, if taking supplements, will start to have D after 500-750mg.
I hope this helped. I was on mag supplements when I developed C. Diff and had to stop them for 5 months because of how screwed up my bowels were. Good Luck to you!

karen ed
New User

Postby karen ed » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:50 am

I have a combo of crohn's and recurrent cdiff. my crohn's was not so bad until cdiff came into my life so i was able to work with crohn's only. but the double combo took me out of the work force in 2002. ihave had 5 cdiffinfections in 5 years the last 2 not triggered by prior antibiotic use. however, when i can kick them back into suppression status i do havea life-- a roller coaster ride but a life none the less. in the middle of all this in 2004 i had a wonderful child.

Tricia
New User

Postby Tricia » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:27 pm

Musicgirl, Have you had a positive stool sample that says you have c. diff? I thought I had relapsed for sure and did a few negative stool tests and a colonoscopy before I would believe that I had post infectious IBS.

Once I realized the diagnosis and that it seemed very much like a c. diff infection I started taking probiotics. I wrote to an expert on the subject and was told to take 4 florastor each day and if that didn't control it in a few days add VSL3 each day.

It worked very well and I am extremely happy with having my life back. After 3 months I tapered off the florastor and only take one probiotic now; p. reuteri. I take VSL3 only if I have a rough stretch.

I have continued to work, even when I actually had active c. diff., also I have always taken a magnesium supplement.(with no ill effects from it). I work as a nurse and believe it or not, that doesn't mean my co-workers have any true understanding of this bug. I have tried to educate people at work and it's been very positive for me.

I wish you luck in your job. If you are in the field of music, I am on your side as my son is a composer, singer and pianist and I know that it is a very tough but rewarding field.
Tricia

musicgirl180
Regular User

update

Postby musicgirl180 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:51 am

Thank you kindly for sharing your stories. Fighting fires while having C-Diff? I can't imagine!!!

To update you: I accepted the job, ended up working 12 hour days and weekends, relapsed while on Vanco and resigned this past weekend.

This is a turning point in my life. Putting myself first, not always having to prove myself to the detriment of my health and peace of mind. While I look forward to being healthy again, I want the lessons from C-Diff to stay alive.

I am in awe of your stories, your courage and your tenacity!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”