Question about c-diff antibodies

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Question about c-diff antibodies

Postby jenkelly15 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:15 am

Hi everyone I just got some bad news. My doctor did a test to see if I developed any c-diff antibodies and it came back negative. He said that means I have a greater chance of relapsing again. I was so upset that I didn't even ask him exactly what the antibodies are and how does a person get them back. If anyone knows about the c-diff antibodies and could explain them that would be great. I am still hoping maybe I will not relaspe even though I don't have these antibodies yet. Thanks to anyone who has heard of this and can explain it to me.

sofedup
New User

Postby sofedup » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:58 am

Hi Jen,
If you dr did a bloodtest and saw that your serum levels were low, he would come to the conclusion that you don't have CDiff "anitbodies". After a bout with CDiff your immuun system is way down of course, so your "antibodies" would be down as well.
So my guess is that when tested at this time, it does not look good on "antibodies".
Main thing for you right now is to get the good bacteria in your intestine up by taking probiotics and eating the right foods.
I really don't think your Dr can say at this point through testing whether you are prone to relapses. Let him explain to you how he came to that conclusion, I think we would all like to know!

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Hi Jen,

Antibodies are proteins on the surface of your b-cell lymphocytes (a white blood cell), that "attack" antigens. In this case, the antigen is the cdiff toxins. Antibody response is an important function of the immune system and protects us from certain viral and bacterial diseases.

It is true that a slow, or absent antibody response may be a factor in relapsing cdiff, but not always.
For a *correct* antibody response to the toxins, the measurement of specific serum or fecal anti-bodies should be high, not low or absent following an acute infection. Antibody protection generally diminishes with time.

There is a theory that bacteroides (a group of gram-negative indigenous colonic bacteria), are also needed to elicit the proper antibody response to cdiff toxins. In that sense, fecal transplantation from a donor is not just replacing good bacteria, but also aiding the immune response more rapidly.

Some antibodies can be replaced by IVIG (infusions of pooled human immune-globulins).
IVIG has been a treatment for relapsing cdiff with mixed results... successful in ending relapses for some, not in others.

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks for all your responses. I really appreciate it. I talked to my regular doctor about it. She told me not to be too concerned because she is not even sure how many people acutally have c-diff antibodies to begin with. So I'm just going to hope for the best. Thanks again to all of you!!!

Karien
Regular User

Postby Karien » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:30 pm

How about some B-12 shots, doesn't that boost the immune system?
Karien

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”