Scared to stop metronidazole

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
lynntfuzz
Brand New Poster

Scared to stop metronidazole

Postby lynntfuzz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi, this is my first time posting here. I tried to read and search everything first, so I hope I'm not being redundant here.

My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with C. diff 2 weeks ago and was just sick as a dog. We were absolutely terrified about what was going to happen. I've never seen her so sick. We got it diagnosed quickly and have been giving her metronidazole for 11 days now. She is so much better. She is running around and playing and smiling now, although I can't say her stools are back to 100% but we're getting there. So, it was all good news so far. We were supposed to stop the metronidazole after 10 days, but her D continued for 7 days. We're just plain afraid that if we stop the medicine, we'll go straight back to square 1. But it is pretty awful forcing this nasty tasting stuff down her throat 3X a day, although she became resigned to it after about 8 or 9 days and is no longer fighting us. She is being very brave and actually asks for her "bad medicine" now so she can get it over with quickly. Aww.

Anyway, do you guys have any experiences with stopping the first course of metronidazole? I shudder to ask. What to do? What to do? The doctor said we could stop the medicine now, but man I don't want to go back to that 24 hour a day continuous, non-stop D. Raging D. Pain. You all know what I'm talking about, I'm sure. The anxiety of this whole thing is just terrible. I'm hopeing we might soon be a success story though. Knock on wood. Knock. Knock. Knock.

Lynn

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi Lynn,

if her D has only been gone for 3 days, I would personally add a few more days of ABs as well, just to be on the safe side. Treatment recommendations are usually 10 - 14 days of metro for a first course. Do you think your doctor will co-oporate?

Fingers crossed for your brave little one - am sure she will be back to her old self soon!

lynntfuzz
Brand New Poster

Postby lynntfuzz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:06 pm

Thank you so much for your responses. I agree. I just don't feel like she has been on it long enough, especially given that it took a while for the D to stop. And the recommended range is 10 - 20 days. Thank you! Lynn

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:46 pm

Lynn,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. It sounds like you've done a lot of reading already. If you haven't, be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

It is hard enough to deal with cdiff as an adult. I cannot imagine having to watch your beloved child suffer from this beast. You've gotten a lot of good advice. Most people (about 80%) recover after 1-2 rounds of Flagyl or vancomycin, so I surely hope your daughter is one of the lucky majority. I'm knocking on wood with you! I believe that children usually recover faster than adults. I felt very queasy on Flagyl, so if by some outside chance this round does not beat cdiff for her, I would ask her doc for vanco next time. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

sanboni
New User

Postby sanboni » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:18 pm

lynn:
I was so sad to hear that your little one has c diff. My heart breaks for you and her both but it was encouraging to hear that she is better and is up playing, etc. Little ones are so precious aren't they? I would encourage you to stay with the meds too but to try and add probiotics into her diet. Florastor makes a product for kids that can be sprinkled onto their food. Florajen 3 capsules can be opened and sprinkled as well. Google both of these to see where to buy. I'm sure you're giving her yogurt as well. I have been using these products with some success although it's too early to know for sure. I've been off vanco for 3 days now and so far so good. I don't want to get my hopes up yet but can't help but pray that my c diff symptoms won't return. Keep us posted on your little sweetie and how she's doing. This site has been a blessing to me - I'm glad you found it too.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:55 pm

I know two different people here (In SD) with children that had cdiff. They were both around the age of two, but they only needed 1 round of Metro. I couldnt imagine having a child with it. My daughter has been on lots of antibiotcs lately for strep and tonsillitis. I give her lots of gogurt. Now she has to have them all taken out in two days, so shell be on another med!! Be careful with dairy products too.

lynntfuzz
Brand New Poster

Postby lynntfuzz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:37 pm

Ok, so I waited 14 days and we ran out of the metro pills which were the best way to give it to her (dissolved in liquid children's tylenol). We still have some nastier tasting compunded stuff though. She was doing so well after 14 days that we decided to take her off of it. We stopped the metro 1.5 days ago. Now, I don't know if this is a coincidence or the what, but she now just developed a fever of 101 and a sore throat with no tummy pain and no D. So, is this a coincidental cold? Or does a recurrence of c-diff sometimes start with just the fever? I'm not sure if I should put her back on the metro immediately or what. My husband votes for putting her back on the metro. I lean towards thinking it is just a coincidence and that she is getting a cold now (because of her sore throat). But, then, if anyone has experience of a recurrence starting in this way, then I'll put her back on the metro ASAP. I've also got a call in to the doctor. But I'm not sure how much my doctor really knows about details like this (first symptoms of a recurrence).

UGH!!! I hate this bug! Anyway, thank you all so much for your help and support.

Sanboni... good luck to you in coming off the vanco!

Lynn

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:49 pm

I agree with Roy about not giving Flagyl if it's not needed. I'd go by the 3-day rule, in the FAQ section. Since she doesn't have D, that is a good sign.

lynntfuzz
Brand New Poster

Postby lynntfuzz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:11 pm

Howdy, y'all. Thought I'd post an update. My daughter did get a cold and then pink eye and then an ear infection! Which we are leaving untreated for now. But then the crowning glory.... c-diff has come back too!!!! The doctor thinks the challenge to her immune system from all the other stuff helped it come back again. So we're back on forcibly feeding her Flagyl and diaper changes every 10 minutes or so. Raging D. Although there seems to be a bit of a respite at the moment. I'm hoping that since I caught it fast and put her straight back on Flagyl that maybe it won't get as severe as last time? Although we're actually not far from the severity of last time.

I'm gearing up for a looooooong night.

Thanks for your support you guys. I'm so sorry that we all have to meet in this way!

Lynn

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”