Has anyone ever had constipation from C Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Has anyone ever had constipation from C Diff?

Postby klt03301 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Hi...it's Karen. I'm really suffering from severe constipation and have been since 4-5 days into this mess. My D stopped after 1 dose of Vanco on 2/26 (when I tested positve). I'm still on it...my PCP tested my stool Friday a week ago after 10 days...negative w/no white blood cells. Told me to come off the vanco, but I was still feeling so bad and worried about a false negative that I got a 2nd opinion at Duke ID. He told me standard protocol is 14 days on meds, not 10. Told me it was my choice to stay on or go off...I had 20 day supply. I'm going to come off leaving myself 4 capsules in case of relpase, which he said is possible. Also, I have been waking myself up every 6 hours to take the vanco, which is what the ER nurse told me to do. This doc told me not to do that? So, which is it?

I am still unable to eat anything other than white rice, crackers, popsicles, pedialyte. The vanco does not make me sick to my stomach...yeah! I've tried baby bananas, reg bananas, baby chicken with broth, baby cereal, baby apples. All have made me very nauseous. The nausea from the constipation is worse than from the D. Why can't I eat? My docs tell me to EAT other than dairy, and I'm like...I WISH I COULD. Don't you understand what I'm telling you? I feel as if even my rice is going to come up all of a sudden, without warning. Losing weight fast and can't afford to. I've tried Florajen 3 (made constipation worse), took my first dose of Culturelle today, but my doc told me to take Florastor or Align. I simply don't know what to do anymore...the only thing I know is I want to stay out of the hospital/ER. Very, very disappointed in the Duke ID doc...I was wasting his time...it was like he was on the clock and he behaved as if C Diff is no big deal..."I see it all the time". I"ll bet he spent 10 minutes with me and that's it. He told me I would adapt to this. I don't want to adapt; I want to get well!

So, anyone else with problems of constipation? The only way I can go is suppositories. I still have abdominal pain and soreness. My diet is not conducive to a healthy bowel. I can't live on this food. Why am I still unable to eat?

Some good news...I have seen my daughter and grandson. It was the highlight of the past 3 weeks. I've bleached my entire apartment down and use gloves every time I go to bathroom. I have had good days. Went for a 2 mile walk two days ago...that night...BAM...so sick! I'm afraid to even pee at my daughter's house...I know that's ridiculous, but my grandson had MRSA 4x with one surgery, so I'm extra paranoid. Any suggestions would be so very much appreciated!

I keep reading that everyone eventually gets well...is this really true? I do focus on reading the success stories every day, over and over.

Thanks again and I feel for everyone suffering from this You are all in my prayers. Hugs to all of you.

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi Karen,

I think constipation with c diff is rare but it does happen. One danger with an inflammed bowel is that in very rare cases the inflammation leads to bowel obstruction which can be life-threatening. So, while I don't think you have anything like that now, if you get very severe abdominal pain do seek medical advise earlier rather than later, no matter how humiliating the last hospital experience was. It's your body and your life and if you hang in there and don't give up, eventually you will find a good doctor. It's not fair to have to be so determined and focused when you feel so ill already, but it pays off. Maybe do give it another try!

Especially if you are losing weight so fast. You need your energy and if nothing else helps, iv nutrition might be the only option to give you some strength back.

Re the Vanco timing - if you feel you can do the getting up in the middle of the night thing physically do it, if you feel that costs you even more strength don't. You need your sleep. Every 6 hrs is ideal, yes, and I did it too that way, but many others here have done 3 times 250g every 8 hrs and recovered as well, so...

And yes, eventually you too will be fine!!

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Karen:

Everybody does eventually get well. sometimes is just takes at lot longer than we like. I had the constipation issue(s) more than once. My GI told me that the bowels natural rythmns have been severely upset by the C-diff and will take time to recover. I found that as soon as I got some solid food with fiber in my diet ( cereal ) that my issues improved rapidly. Your comment about gloves got my attention. This disease sometimes causes us to become victims of our own phobias of spreading it. I work in a Firehouse in close 1/4s with the crew and none of the others have gotten it during the last couple of years. We share the bathrooms as well as the flu and colds, but not C-diff. I just follow normal good hygene habits and we all do spray the seat afterwords. We all follow strict hand washing policies and that's all. As Roy said, C-diff exists in the dirt outside, you can't isolate yourself from it. Don't isolate yourself from your family and life. You've got C-diff and that's an issue to deal with. Use some normal precautions ( handwashing and ect ) around others but you're not Typhoid Mary. I don't mean to rant, but that's the attitude that I've developed after a couple of years of dealing with it. I know that this sounds really difficult as C-diff effects your everyday life, but don't let it control it. Bottom line...you will get over it, hopefully very soon.

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:07 pm

Hi Karen,
Mint tea and saltine crackers helped me a lot when I was dealing with nausea during my early CDiff days. Also drinking small amounts of Kefir (a probiotic yogurt-like drink available in most superkarkets) helped settle my stomach. It come in several flavors. And as far as constipation remedies, I drank prune juice during my pregnancy and never had a problem with constipation or hemorroids so I'm doing it again now, and it still works! If you can get it in the health food section it will have more fiber and less sugar. Fiber is what keeps you regular.

Of course, the best thing is to try to keep a more regular diet, hard to do when you are nauseous. Good luck!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”