fecal enema's post c-diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
carrie
Regular Contributor

fecal enema's post c-diff

Postby carrie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:29 pm

has anyone ever done the fecel enemas without being on vanco? It sounds as though it has a fairly good response rate for IBS. I've been having an awful time for the past 3 weeks and would be willing to do the fecal infusions but would not want to go back on vanco.

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:49 pm

Hi Carrie,

I posted the same question a while ago and got no reply. I believe not that many people here have done the enemas anyway, and if so, mostly with ABs prior to them.

I think it should be fine to do the enemas without ABs first if you don't have pronounced c diff symptoms, which probably equals no or a low bacterial load. My idea is that the good bacteria from the donor stool should be able to take care of a few remaining c diffies themselves ;-).

Do get your donor checked very thoroughly first though!

labgirl
Contributor

Postby labgirl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:39 pm

Right off I don't know of anyone that hasn't been on vanco right before they did the infusions.I think most people are so bad off and tired of being on vanco that they are desperate to try anything that will help cure them without having to continue the vanco. That's not to say that you have to be on medication beforehand. I would say it's definately worth a try!

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:08 am

Thanks for your support. I can't imagine dealing with this for an indefinate period of time. It seems everytime I try to make an adjustment or try something new it's wammy and back to the same old thing. I've had some really good days but the last few weeks yikes what a roller coaster. Also I'm spending more than $200.00 monthly for VSL#3 and Florastor and getting a bit tired of that expence. I've tried twice to cut down but no go. I'm now using Acicia powder(lke Metamucil) but I'm not sure if that is the irritant at this moment or was it food or cutting down on the VSL. I'm going to be brave and try the fecal enema in another week, I'm sure it can't hurt as long as my donor is clear.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:14 am

carrie,
Have heard of few cases where Vanco. not given before infusions. I'd ask your doc.
Last edited by Bobbie on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:08 am

Ask my doctor what Bobbie? They seem to have no clue what to do and getting into anyone takes forever. I will speak with the doc I've set an appointment with Monday just to see if she has any feedback. Do you know if the infusions done without vanco were successful? It does have such a high rate of success I think I just have to give it a try.

Karien
Regular User

Postby Karien » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:44 pm

I am thinking about FI's as well. But I will definitely not go on Vanco before. I think as long as your donor is checked very carefully, which seems to be the most important part of this procedure, then you have nothing to worry about. It's all natural :)
Good luck!
Karien

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:46 am

Thanks for your thoughts Karien. The more research I do the more it seems that those who have a FI recover so much better for the most part. Maybe I'm reading into it too much but it seems obvious to me. Nor have I read anyone who has had adverse effects from the procedure. I agree screening is important.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:04 pm

Carrie,
Ask your doc. what? About taking Vanco., of course. Granted most docs. have little knowledge of the infusions, but from what I've read, Vanco. is given for a short time before the procedure. I don't know if the infusions done without them were successful but will ask a doc. who does them.

carrie
Regular Contributor

Postby carrie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:53 pm

Thanks Bobbie, I guess I was a bit sarcastic which I don't like to be. It just seems my physician is at a loss with all of this although he has done some research since my bout. I have suggested he contact the Australian clinic if he'd like as maybe they will reply to a physician. They seem to be the only one's I'm aware of who use FI's to treat IBS. I've sent the "Information to Physicians" on IBS from the clinic in Australia to my physician and GI today. Let me know what you find out, I'd hate to go on Vanco but would be willing to give it a try without.

Karien
Regular User

Postby Karien » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Bobbie when you find out about no Vanco infusions, will you come back to this post or where?
It would be interesting to hear. Makes sense to use Vanco when you are in the middle of CDiff, but post Cdiff with IBS, it just doesn't make sense to go back on Vanco. Vanco can cause CDiff as well.
Karien

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:05 pm

I wouldnt go back on vanco. You dont have a reason to if you dont have cdiff right now.

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:09 pm

This is just my own two cents here, but it couldnt hurt to try I wouldn't think. The enemas are relatively simple. I am bit confused, are you wanting to try the enemas to treat ibs, or to treat c.diff?

I did the enemas, they didn't help with ibs, but they did treat the c.diff. I was on vanco prior, because I HAD to be. If you are not on vanco, then your c.diff is probably mild? In that case, what would an infusion hurt?

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:47 am

Anyone who needs help with any of this, enemas, infusions all of it, private message me and we can email. you can do enemas for IBS, you have nothing to loose! They are so simple and easy, they save lives.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”