Pregnant with recurring c-diff. PLEASE help me.

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
AndreaMMS
New User

Pregnant with recurring c-diff. PLEASE help me.

Postby AndreaMMS » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi there,

I just found your site and I am so glad that it exists. I don't know where else to turn.

I had (and am still on medications for) severe Hyperemesis Gravidarum which necessitated my getting a PICC line due to constant severe deydration. I developed an blood infection (and blood clot!) from the PICC in November, and was hosptilaized for three weeks for treatment with heavy antibiotics. I contracted C-Diff from the hospital.

I am now on my FOURTH relapse of C-Diff. The first time I was put on flagyl (what a nasty drug!), the second two times and this time I am on ever-longer protocols of Vancocin. I just got off of three weeks of Vanco last week...and after having stomach cramps within days of stopping I tested positive for C-Diff AGAIN. I now am on vanco for four weeks.

I am beside myself. The C-Diff, when I am symptomatic, aggrivates the hypermemsis. How can I get rid of this? Are all these antibiotics going to hurt the baby? Am I going to be dealing with this for the rest of my life????

My Infectious Disease Doctor wants me to take probiotics, but my OB says she doesn't know enough about probiotics and pregnancy to tell me that they are safe and recommend them.

I am truly desperate and would really appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks so much,
Andrea

Jan
Regular Contributor

Postby Jan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:47 pm

Andrea, I am so sorry you and your baby are going through this and I will be praying for the both of you. I think the best route for you to take since you have had so many relapses would be to try a taper or pulse with vanco. I did a taper and it worked for me. I was c diff free for almost 6 months but now might have it again because of having surgery. I am going to taper again. I don't know the answer to the probiotic question but as Roy said, I don't think vanco would hurt the baby because it isn't absorbed in to the blood stream. Just make sure your ob/gyn keeps a careful eye over the both of you. Ask your doctor about Florastor. It sure helped me. I never quit taking it and probably never will. You are not alone and know a lot of people care. Please let us know how you are doing.
Hugs & Prayers
Jan

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:13 pm

Andrea,
Welcome to the US group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

My understanding is that vanco won't harm your baby. Your doc should be able to reassure you about this. As Roy says, there is lots of info on the site. No, you will not be dealing with cdiff for the rest of your life. They tell me that everyone beats it eventually. You will too. Check out the Ten Commandments of Surviving Cdiff, in the FAQ section, especially #7, about never giving up hope. I printed it out and read it every day. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

babyram
New User

Postby babyram » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:23 am

Andrea,
I too am pregnant (16 weeks) and had C.Diff. In the early stages of my pregnancy, I was on Flagyl and then Vancocin. While on the Vancocin, I was taking Flora-q and Florastor (Probiotics). I discussed this with both my GI doc and OB. Both were ok with the probiotics and said that it will not harm the baby and will help the digestive system. I must agree. Once I finsihed the Vancocin, I continued on the probiotics for about 3 months. I just recently stopped taking them all!!! I am now 76 days C. Diff free. I have had issues with constipation due to iron etc, which led to fissures and hems, but I am finally dealing with it.
I hope that things work out for you. I would consult a GI doc along with your OB about the probiotics. They really do help.

crissiej
Regular User

Postby crissiej » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:31 am

I had c diff when I was pregnant and took probiotics. I took acidophilus and I was on two rounds of flagyl. I did get over it.

It is no fun having this when you are pregnant.

mommy2maddi
Regular User

Postby mommy2maddi » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:39 pm

I too am suffering with this, I am 29 weeks. I know that probiotics are safe during pregnancy. I took them before I even got C Diff. I just switched to Align as suggested by my gastro and I also take Culturelle. I also take in natural yogurt from Whole Foods. I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon!

Nicole

29 weeks!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”