erythema nodosum(leg bumps,rash,pain,swelling) & CDIFF

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
dlo
Brand New Poster

erythema nodosum(leg bumps,rash,pain,swelling) & CDIFF

Postby dlo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:18 pm

HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THE DIAGNOSIS OF ERYTHEMA NODOSUM WITH THEIR CDIFF? 1 WEEK AFTER MY CDIFF SYMPTOMS STARTED, I DEVELOPED BUMPS ON MY SHINS WITH SURROUNDING REDNESS. THOUGHT THEY WERE BITES. THEY GOT WORSE.SEVERE PAIN, REDNESS THAT TURNED TO A BRUISED LOOK, PAIN AND SWELLING. DOCTOR THOUGHT IT WAS CELLULITIS, TREATED IT WITH MORE ANTIBIOTICS WHICH DID NOT WORK. FINALLY WAS ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL AND IT TOOK A FEW DAYS FOR THEM TO CONFIRM IT WAS ERYTHEMA NODOSUM, A HYPERSENSITIVITY REACTION TO THE CDIFF WHICH CAUSES AN INFLAMMATION IN THE FAT CELLS. I WAS TREATED WITH BEDREST, 800 MG IBUPROVEN AND POTASSIUM IODIDE DROPS FOR 2 WEEKS. FINALLY ON THE ROAD TO RECOVERY. I END MY VANCOMYCIN TOMORROW AND HAVE A STOOL SAMPLE ON THURSDAY. HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE NEGATIVE SO I CAN GO BACK TO WORK. I HAVE BEEN OUT FOR 1 MONTH. STILL WAITING FOR MY DISABILITY CHECK...

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:38 pm

During the last 2 years I have had a red rash going up both legs that look like measles at times. I have been told that it is due to inflammation caused by the reactive arthiritis brought on by cdiff.
Cindy

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:41 pm

dlo,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

Next time you post, please don't use all capital letters, because this is interpreted as shouting. Thanks. I surely hope that you have beaten cdiff. It is best to be off of Flagyl or vanco for 10 - 14 days before taking a stool sample. Otherwise you run the risk of a false negative test result. Good luck.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”