Flagyl (metro) question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sanboni
New User

Flagyl (metro) question

Postby sanboni » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Has anyone had weird side effects with the Flagyl (metro)? I was put on metro 3 times a day (500 mg) and have been waking up in the night with tingling in my arms and hands, numbness, etc. Everything I eat or drink tastes very weird and metallic and I'm nauseated all day. My doctor acts like I should just put up with it because metro is the best thing out there to treat my c diff. Is there anything to help with the side effects?

I had my first c diff infection in Nov '06 after taking a cephalosporin antibiotic. I had never even heard of c diff. I thought I had a stomach bug. I ended up in the ER with severe dehydration, so sick I couldn't even stand up. That's when I found out what I had. That was my first experience. Now all of a sudden, my symptoms are back although not as bad as the first time and I'm not happy about being on the metro again. I'm scared not to take it though. I don't know which is worse.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:06 pm

sanboni,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

If I were you and having the numbness and the rest, I would ask my doc ASAP to put me on vancomycin. As Roy says, these symptoms could indicate potential nerve damage. If your doc won't agree, I would look for another doc. The metallic taste and nausea are more common symptoms, but for me they were severe enough that I think I cannot take Flagyl again.

Did your most recent cdiff return after you took an antibiotic? After cdiff, we will need to be careful about antibiotics for the rest of our lives. Cephalosporins are some of the worst offenders.

sanboni
New User

Postby sanboni » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Thank you for the responses. I did have a stool sample done and was told it was positive. That gives me another question, though. Once you have c diff are you always a "carrier" of it?? Would I test positive without the toxins? I'm so confused by it all. I had a sinus infection during the first week of the new year and was put on antibiotics. That was over a month ago, though. Is it normal for it to take that long for my c diff symptoms to appear after finishing the antibiotic?
My doctor said I could take the metro twice a day instead of 3. Is that enough to kill the c diff??? I can't believe how this all confuses me so much!!! This site has been a blessing! I wish I had known about it during my first experience. Thankfully this time it's not anywhere near as bad as the first.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:01 pm

sanboni,
After we have recovered from cdiff, we will probably not test positive, although some people do. For this reason, it is best for your doc to treat you based on symptoms, not on test results. However, many of us will always have the spores in our bodies, and that is why we will always have to be careful about antibiotics. Antibiotics kill our good gut bacteria that keep any cdiff under control.

Yes, your cdiff symptoms could come back more than a month after you took an antibiotic. I don't know about 2 vs. 3 Flagyl, but you could try it and see how it goes.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”