Does the beast die with or without meds?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sofedup
New User

Does the beast die with or without meds?

Postby sofedup » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:04 am

I have been spending hours a day on this site. A big thank you to the people who started it and maintain it!
I realize there is no sure cure for CDiff. Everybody seems to have gone a different way. The only similarities seem to be the Flagyl, Vanco and various amounts of probiotics. Is it possible that this bug would leave or god forbid not leave on its's own time, no matter what medicines, probiotics, infusions etc. you take or not take??
Doing everything you possibly can think of to make it better is good, but maybe, just maybe this beast will go away eventually anyway. I am suffering since beginning of November and still very new and puzzled by it all. I tried the usual Metro, Vanco and probiotics. Considering the fecal infusions, but not sure about that. From what I read here, it seems that it is not as effective as mentioned in the studies.
Obviously there is still not enough knowledge out there to treat this bug effectively. What a shame!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:58 pm

sofedup (Good name!),
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. It sounds like you've read most of what's here, but in case you haven't, be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

You are right, there is not enough knowledge about treating cdiff, even though the number of people affected seems to be growing all the time. So I don't know the answer to your question. What works for some folks doesn't work for others. Have you tried pulsing or tapering the Flagyl or vanco? Also, combining or following them with rifampin or xifaxin has helped some. And IVIG is another alternative. Also, the success rate for fecal infusions is supposed to be quite high. Good luck with whatever you try. Let us know how it goes.

Karien
Regular User

Postby Karien » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks Nancy, which FI's have success by your knowledge from reading these posts, the ennema type or the
Karien

Karien
Regular User

Postby Karien » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:20 pm

oops, got cut off, what I wanted to ask is what FI is best, the one that goes into the small intestine or the ennema kind?
Karien

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:12 pm

Karien,
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe someone else here does. I believe that most people do the enema kind, because it's simpler.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”