Antibiotics Post C. Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
3girls4me
Brand New Poster

Antibiotics Post C. Diff?

Postby 3girls4me » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:28 pm

Hi all,
I am currently 26 days off vanco and things are "good"! I won't say gone, because I'm afraid to, but definitely much improved!

I have an upcoming outpatient surgery in March. By then, I'll be 8 weeks post vanco. I have to take an antibiotic after my surgery (I really wish I didn't!). My primary doc said that Keflex should be ok, just a lower dosage than normal. I've taken Keflex many times in the past (pre c-diff) with no problems. (I got c. diff from Clindamycin). I'm wondering if I'm still ok to take it. I see on the FAQ antiobiotic list it says it's one of the "most likely to cause c diff". Should I ask for another antibiotic? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:40 pm

Hi,

Keflex is cefalexin, which is a first generation cephalosporin. All cephalosporins are commonly thought to pose a higher risk for c diff than other ABs. Some literature even states that they are as bad as clindamycin or amoxicillin, but opinions vary.

Only your doctor will be able to make the call whether a different kind of ABs would work for your kind of surgery and antimocrobial spectrum required. I would show him the list from the website here and see whether any of the possibly safer ones, such as azithromycin, erythromycin or even Pen G could work, the latter being quite narrow in spectrum though...

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:02 pm

IF you have to have one I would ask for plain old penn. I have been cdiff free for about 20 months and have been to tolerate bactrim and ezythromycin. BUt everyones different.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:53 am

Ask your doctor about possibly giving you one dose of antibiotics prior to surgery and NO MORE unless warranted by infection. Many doctors give antibiotics as precaution and once you explain your condition they rethink their plan. I had surgery in 2004 and was given one IV dose of antibiotics prior to surgery and did not have another and did okay. I did have a mild relapse on the 5th day after surgery and vanco dosage was upped. I also was on vanco when I had the surgery (appendix & gallbladder). I was given rocephin. I made it through okay and so will you. Hang in there!
Cindy

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:12 am

Someone here on the site took Keflex post C-diff along with Florastor and C-diff didn't return. Prior he had a very,very long and stubborn case of C-diff.

Everyone is different so you can't really tell what would happen.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”