Diagnosed with CD - Scared

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
ekw
Brand New Poster

Diagnosed with CD - Scared

Postby ekw » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi,

I was diagnosed with C-Diff 2 weeks ago. I had it for about 2 months before I was diagnosed. I'm about to finish my second course of vancomycin (14 days @ 125 mg. 3 x per day) and, although I'm improved, I'm not completely better (I still have D with a little B 6 x per day). I have a GI appt. this Wednesday and I'm wondering what can I expect? Will she most likely put me on another course of vancomycin, get another stool sample, order a colonoscopy? My anxiety is so high right now! Any info others can provide based on their own experience will help. Thanks...EKW

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:57 am

ekw,
I just wanted to comment on your post, as I know how BAD the anxiety with cdiff can be.

Looking back, I do believe that the anxiety of it was the worst part for me.

I had c.diff for 7 months. I was on vanco and it just kept coming back. In September I did fecal enemas using my daughter as a stool donor and got rid of it for good. But even then, I was worried and anxious that it would come back.

Something that really helped me when I was going through this, was either Christina or Bobbie telling me.. This is NOT going to kill you. You ARE going to be ok. It WILL leave.

They were right, it didnt, I am, and it did.

So take a deep breath, become informed about c.diff, talk to your GI and know that you will get through this and be ok.

Darlene

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:00 pm

ekw,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

About a stool sample, it is best to wait 10 - 14 days after taking Flagyl or vanco before taking a sample. Otherwise you risk getting a false negative result.

About a colonoscopy, my primary care doc thought I should have one during cdiff, but my GI doc said it wasn't necessary. I was very relieved, because I was having so much pain anyway, and thought that a colonoscopy would only cause more pain without telling us anything we didn't already know.

sungirl
New User

Postby sungirl » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:03 pm

I have to agree with Nancy1 on the colonscopy. For me they did it to rule anything else out. The actual procedure for me was really stressfull and in the end the results of it were not helpfull. If I could go back and avoid all the extra tests they wanted to run like that I would. They just put me under more stress and being sick was with cdiff is stressfull enough. Also can so relate to the being stressed part I was so scared when I had been sick for awhile and was not getting better finnally dug up the paper they gave me with diagnosis on it and was pretty floored when I read it. But by doing my research and reading every thing I could on this site I had alot of answers to my questions and calmed my fears. Keep strong. You are not alone in this:)

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”