side effect of vanco

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jodie
Regular Contributor

side effect of vanco

Postby Jodie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:53 pm

Does anyone experience serious dizziness while on vanco? I was so worried about it that I went to neurologist to make sure nothing was wrong with me (MRI showed nothing). He said it is the vanco. Does anyone else experience this?

Jodie

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:27 pm

I wonder how that could be because Vanco is VERY poorly absorbed into the body, it remains in the intestines. Only IV Vanco is absorbed into the blood to cause a central nervous system side effect like that. That said, I'm always dizzy so i can't tell whats vanco and what's not. Maybe it can cause it anyway. :)

Jodie
Regular Contributor

Postby Jodie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 pm

Yes, I said the same thing, and he pulled it up on his screen for me the side effects of vanco (not IV), the pill taken by mouth, and nausea, dizziness, and flushing were the top three side effects....pretty weird , huh? It makes me severely dizzy and the longer I am on it, the dizzier I get!!

Jodie

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:04 am

I'm sure it's possible. Maybe take the Vanco with food. Would that help? I always take mine with food. I hope you feel better and the dizziness calms down. There is a dizziness drug called Meclizine. It helps but it can make you sleepy, Seems all these GI drugs knock us out.

peanut
Regular Contributor

Postby peanut » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:14 am

lol... i too like whitepine am always dizzy so hard to tell. but when i first started treating with vanco i also became very dizzy and light headed. was very scary at first, got used to it then it subsided after awhile.

peanut
Regular Contributor

Postby peanut » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:16 am

forgot to mention every time i have to take it for a relapse i get dizzy then too

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:45 am

I remember reading posts on here by a guy from a few years ago and he experienced lots of systemic side effects with oral vanco, ones you are only supposed to experience with the iv version. So it is possible I think...

Karien
Regular User

Postby Karien » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:23 am

The side effects noted on the paper I got with the Vanco mentiones dizzyness as one of the side effects. I got the (oral) Vanco in the Netherlands but it is the same drug as Vanco in the U.S.
Karien
Karien

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:24 pm

I do remember when I would relapse and up my dose to a high one I would get dizzy

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Dizziness is definitely possible on vanco.......I should know.......had it for 6 years and carry medicine with me all the time for dizziness. It was worse in early treatment days than it is now 6 years later, but it is still happening! Some people are just more suseptible to having problems with meds than others. Ask your doctor for antivert---it works miracles. I take the generic form meclozamine? (I think is the way it is spelled).
Cindy

jaspore
Regular User

Postby jaspore » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:32 am

I am very dizzy on the Flagyl. Tomorrow I get the Vanco...and was hoping that it wouldn't do me this way too. Nausea, dizzy, and really tired! I do it with food, and it doesn't seem to help.
JASPORE

Wilmington, NC

debralaprade
New User

Postby debralaprade » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:04 am

I always get dizzy from almost any med I take, but I noticed the longer you take it, the more you get used to it and aren't so dizzy.
debra laprade

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”