Germicides & Disinfectants...

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Germicides & Disinfectants...

Postby TheVike » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:53 pm

they all say killls 99.9 % bacteria virus mold etc.. So all these germacide Lysol clorox crap kills all but let me guess for I have not researched...has anyone? Kills everything OUT there EXCEPT I bet MRSA and CDIff!

Tricia
New User

Postby Tricia » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 am

I was just going to post something along this topic line. I am a nurse working in an ambulatory setting which is just starting to perform endoscopy procedures. My friend is basically setting up the unit and both her and my boss are very attentive to my input as they both know the C Diff battle I have fought for the last 5-6 months. I looked at our cleaner that we clean the stretchers with and it also said 99.9% with no mention of effectiveness against C Diff.

Does anyone have any input as to what cleaner I can advise to the unit??
Your comments will make a major difference as to the policies for a large northern Virgina surgery center.

I am aware of the bleach fix but my boss doesn't want to spray anything into the air as to the aerosol irritation it can cause to patients and health care personnel alike. Are there any wipe like products out there that can do this job?

Thanks for any input; I have learned so much from this forum and have shared some of it at work.
Tricia

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:37 pm

Tricia,
As a nurse, you can help "our cause" a lot. Hooray for you for "pushing" hygiene in your unit.

There are bleach "wipes" but don't know how effective they would be. How about wiping everything down with a bleach mixture -- wouldn't have to spray in the air? Several companies have advertised they have products that "kill spores" but don't know how effective they are. Then again, they are "selling."

I'd check around with various other hospitals & find out what they use. They all should be "on alert" esp. with all the MRSA -- which gets far more press than C. diff.

Again, kudoes to you!. You know what C. diff. is "really like." Makes a big difference, doesn't it?

Glad the site has been helpful.

arlyed
New User

Postby arlyed » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:13 pm

Tricia-
My hospital uses a product call Hype-Wipe. The package specifically lists
c-diff, and MRSA (and others) as target organisms. I don't know if it's ok to list an address in a post (Bobbie can I?), if I can I would be glad to give you the particulars, if not PM me. Good luck!
Arlye

Tricia
New User

Postby Tricia » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:52 pm

Thanks for your comments Bobbie and Arlye. I googled Hype-Wipe and plan to print and bring in the info tomorrow. I see that it kills vegetative c diff but not the spores? I always thought "vegetative c diff" was the spores but not really sure:

http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/list_i_clostridium.pdf

I think it's probably the best product out there right now as far as ready made "wipes" are concerned.

Bobbie, I used to work at the hospital across the street in the endoscopy unit. I believe that's where I may have contracted C Diff in the first place. I don't know that they were using effective cleaners over there.

At my new unit, once we decided to start performing endoscopy (colonoscopy, EGDs) I decided that since my input mattered that I would encourage them to do it right. I have pushed for "dedicated stretchers" to be used just for endoscopy and also the issue of the correct cleaners. When the colonoscopy's are performed the scope often times touches the rails of the stretcher. This grossly contaminates the rails which is precisely the area that so many people put their hands on when they are handling stretchers.

I have taken it upon myself to educate the techs as much as possible on the proper cleaning and handling of these stretchers so as not to contaminate the entire unit.

Anyway, it's a big job, changing the way the health care system works but I'm glad to be a part of the change.
Tricia

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:08 pm

How bout someone givin me a sout out for vbringin up the topic??? :((((((((( I am buyin that stuff TODAY! Thanks Kind Nurse! :)

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:10 pm

SHOUT OUT that is! :) which is which AND which is the best affordable as well and how to purchase THIS/THAT particular one, hurry please for peace of mind-continued!

Tricia
New User

Postby Tricia » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:21 pm

Oh sorry Vike! Thanks and kudos to you for bringing up the topic, it's a good one.
Tricia

arlyed
New User

Postby arlyed » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:05 pm

Hey Vike-
You"re right about that, And thanks for your very pertinent observations.I, too, have looked at manyor the products available to the public and I have found that virtually none that would kill c-diff. Most of the "wipes" available contain ammonium hydrochoride (ammonium) not sodium hypochlorite (bleach). Do not use bleach and ammonium products concurrently- you will produce a noxious and potentially lethal gas! Some spray products that do contain bleach are "LYSOL surface cleaner" and 'LYSOL mildew remover". I used these products to decontaminate during my c-diff episodes. Hope if you order Hype Wipe that it works for you. The bleach smell is very strong so I would advise adequate ventillation. Good luck!
Arlye

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:30 pm

Tricia & arleyed,
Thx. for info. on Hype-Wipe. I'll Email think info. to a C. diff. expert & see what he/she thinks.

"The spores" are a big source of controversary -- does bleach really kill them? How long do they last, etc. They've been known to stay on bed rails in hospitals for weeks. Both Dr. McDonald & Dr. Borody address them in their articles.

Again, Aryed, you are to be commended on your campaign.

Will send Hype-Wipe hyperlink to "expert" & also ask Allison to "weigh in." She is much better at the "scientific stuff than I am." (To my knowledge, spores are the vegetative state of the bacteria.)

Several of the mods. have been sick or on trips. Allison had a resp. infection & I've had another UTI & am getting a resp. infection. Since I am already on Macrobid for the UTI, I don't want to have to take another antibiotic but get pneumona easily. Think I'll stay home & "chill" today. Nancy is going to see her grand children in Mexico. Have a safe trip, Nancy.

The site might be understaffed for awhile.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Checked with C. diff. expert re. Hydro-Wipes. Asked, "Do you think this product is effective against "spores?"

Response: "the data presented doesn’t suggest it to me."

Know bleach water/wipes kills the C. diff. bacteria -- the spores are harder to eliminate.

Everyone needs to do their own research on this. If your hospital feels it is effective, arleyed, I'd "go with it." Can't hurt; might help.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:59 pm

Don't know. Do some more investigating on your own. Remember, all these companies are "selling" something.

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:06 pm

I have been using Caltech DISPATCH it comes in a towel form and a spray form. It says it kills C Diff Vegetative it's active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite.

It states it is a hospital grade cleaner disinfectant. I bought the products online through a medical supply store.

Hope this helps, don't know about spores though.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”