On Vanco still have fever

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Tricia
New User

On Vanco still have fever

Postby Tricia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:27 pm

Just requesting input from some of the veterans about this situation. I am on my second round of Vanco after a relapse the first time. This time I am on the 12th day of 14 with a little mini taper of another week of every other day. Most of the last week I've been running a low grade fever of somewhere in the range of 99.5-100.5. Only once did I get 100.9 and that was today; it has stayed above 100 all day today. Along with this I've had on and off abdominal pain.

So the specific question is, "What's causing the fever?"

My guesses are: Ongoing resistant c. diff, Reaction to the Vanco, Pseudomembranous colitis (why would the fever be getting worse instead of better?), or some type of colitis? I even wonder if it could be appendicitis.

Has anyone had any experience similiar to this? My GI doc feels this is unusual and wants to possibly do an abdominal CT scan if I still have fever and\or abdominal pain on Weds.

I'm scared of the CT scan because of the amount of radiation and that's another anxiety I have. This fever day after day though is wearing me out and making me crazy.

Does anyone have any insight into this? I don't see a lot of mention of fever and abdominal pain in those that are currently on their vanco treatment. Seems like most on this site do great while on the vanco.

Thanks very much in advance. I appreciate all the support from those who have been there and those that are still fighting.
Tricia

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:07 pm

I had a scan done prior to finally finding out it was cdiff. Nothing to it. Its open machine. ALso their are people on here that had a fever with cdiff. I am not one of them but its not unusual. Maybe your not on a high enough dose of vanco? Hang in there itll get better.

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:31 pm

what strength of vanco are u on

Tricia
New User

Postby Tricia » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:18 pm

I'm on the second round of 125 mg 4 times a day and this is day 13 of 14.

My weight is 130 lb. but maybe this doesn't have much to do with it?
Fever is 99-100 range today but not over 100. Abdominal pain is a bit better but still there off and on.

I'm not really too anxious about the closed in aspect of the CT scan, just the radiation dose. Did your CT scan prior to your C. Diff diagnosis show anything?

Thanks!
Tricia

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:41 pm

Well I can tell you 125mg was not strong enough for me either.. he had to put me on 250mg... you might want to ask about that.. I didn' thave a scan prior to my diagnosis.. I had a upper and lower gi done during my c diff..

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:34 pm

I personally also think your dose needs to be higher. I was on the same dose as you for a very long time and just got worse, till they gave me the 250 mgs/4. Then I could at least function and start on strategies to get rid of it. Good luck.

Tricia
New User

Postby Tricia » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:14 pm

Thank you both, I have been wondering if the dosage was too small too. I will call and talk to the doctor tomm.

Also, I've been seeing information on the positives of abdominal MRI (without any radiation exposure) versus the abdominal cat scan. Looks like the images are just as good now. I will ask my doctor about this as well. Has anyone reading this ever had an abdominal mri?

I hate the thought of being on yet more medicine, higher dose vanco and for longer yet. I feel like this will never end but am encouraged by some of the success stories on the site.
Tricia

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:30 pm

Tricia
Some people run a fever with C. diff. Some do not. Frankly, I seldom took mine -- just more to worry about. Some docs. don't consider anything under 100 degrees a fever & some people always run a temp. of over the "norm" of 98.6. Do consult your doc. if you are concerned. A high fever does indicate infection.

Yes, some on the site do well on Vanco. Others still have "off days." Do discuss a higher dosage with your doc.

The CAT scan might be a good idea -- I believe they "give off" less radiation than X-rays -- & tell more. It might give an idea if other organs are involved. They probably aren't, but it would give you peace of mind.

C. diff. is not for the "weak of heart." Hang in there. You WILL get over this.

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:38 pm

Hi Tricia,

I wouldn't be surprised if your doc or insurance co. says no to the abdominal MRI as a first-line diagnostic tool. It's a much more expensive test. It can be more sensitive in certain instances when they already know what the problem is and need it for comparative purposes (for soft tissue imaging in cancer patients, for instance) but it's still used against a baseline CT, which is the more appropriate test first.

If you have anxiety issues about the amount of radiation exposure, do some research. it's not as bad as you think. I've had 5 ab CT's and will continue to get at least one every year for the rest of my life. The exposure is only a worry when it's cumulative over a long period of time...a very long time. If you had several every single year, you might need to worry in about 20 years or so. The radiation for AB imaging isn't too bad. Chest CT's are the worst. One is equal to 500 plain film chest x-rays for exposure. I have also had 5 of these and will get one every year forever. But doc has to use the best tools available for managing disease, so no choice. It's never good, but NOT having doc see what he needs to see is far worse.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”