breathing in cdiff ...

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
stefdub
New User

breathing in cdiff ...

Postby stefdub » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:36 am

hi guys,
weird question but ingestion of bacteria would mean actually having it on something and than swallowing that right? Or can the spores and bacteria also be gotten through breathing/inhaling? I clorox everything and make sure nothing directly touched my mouth. When I eat a slice of toast, i throw away the part that I touched, regardless of how much I cleaned my hands before. When I eat bananas, I touch the peel, not the banana itself. Crazy, I know but better safe than sorry. At least until I am well again.

Stefan

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:09 pm

stefdub,
Cdiff from what I understand is a "hand to mouth" infection. I feel pretty safe in saying that it is a "contact" infection and not a "airbourne" infection. Meaning, no you can not get it by breathing/inhaling.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:17 pm

Heather is correct. It's "hand to mouth." One reason why handwashing is so important.

Both Dr. McDonald's & Dr. Borody's articles cover the transmission of the disease.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”