Dosing rules ...

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
stefdub
New User

Dosing rules ...

Postby stefdub » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:20 am

Hi guys,
I am on my first Flagyl round, currently 500 mg 3 times per day.
I am on my 10th day today and feel pretty alright. I have 4 more days to go but I was wondering if any of you have experiences like coming off of Flagyl thinking to be fine and then bam! relapsing the next couple of days?
Is it maybe better to cut the dose down to 2 times per day and then one instead of 3 to nothing?

Thanks a lot!!
Stefan

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:46 am

Hi, Stefan. I would follow your Dr.'s protocol. This is a typical first round treatment and usually even the second one is the same way although the Dr. may add in a longer course. Tapering usually isn't done until after your second course if you have another relapse. That is when you are unfortunate enough to have beaten the 80% odds of getting over c-diff w/in 2 rounds of meds. All of my relapses (12-13!) occurred anywhere between 6 days to just short of 6 weeks off of Vanco or Flagyl and yes there were times where I had thought I had beaten it only to have yet another occurrence. Hopefully, this will not be your case. If it is, it is best to try to catch them early and then get on your meds. ASAP so not to let the C-diff set in too much. I was always told by my Dr. never to let it go more than 24 hours w/out treatment regardless of testing or test results. I always followed that protocol and although I was still very sick I was not in any danger of developing anything life threatening.

Try not to worry too much unless you really have to. It will only make you feel worse. Stay positive and stay busy!

Christina

stefdub
New User

Postby stefdub » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:59 am

Thanks so much Christina!!
Had 3 BMs and one of them was D. Maybe from the Kiwi I ate yesterday.
I will definitely take the meds all the way through!!

Thanks so much!!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”