Could this be it?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
stefdub
New User

Could this be it?

Postby stefdub » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:27 am

Hi there,
my name is Stefan, I am a 25 yr. old male.
About 3 wks ago I got cdiff after clindamycin. The doctors took a stool sample after I pretty much begged them to since I had started reading about cdiff luckily soon enough to know myself what it could be. The stool sample came back negative and I was doing better due to the yoghurt I consumed as much as possible. Then, a few days later I relapsed and went back to the doctor. They tested my blood and sent me home. I felt so bad, my stomach rumbling on and on. The next day I went back since I still felt terribly ill and they told me my blood work looks perfect and that they were clueless and thought I might just be dehydrated. They gave me 2 IVs and per my request scheduled an appointment with the GI for me. I went the next day and without any further testing, he prescribed Flagyl 500 mg 3 x day for 14 days. Today is the 7th day and I feel better. I have maybe 5 BMs per day and they are soft but not watery and I take Culturelle 3x day, Acidophylus 3 x day, Digestive Advantage Crohn's & Colitis 3 x day and Danactive 3 x day. I am wondering if I am just doing better from the Flagyl or if this seems like a true progress. Also: when will my stool become thick again? One thing I am still fighting with is that I can't sleep long. No more than 7 hours per night. And why are 3 of my BMs in the morning? Any particular reason, why I have more BMs in the morning?

Thanks so much!!

Stefan

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:08 am

Hi and welcome to the site. Take your time to read around especially, the expert articles and FAQ's. C-diff is one tricky and nasty illness but always gives up eventually. It takes some longer than others but most people do recover with 2 rounds of meds.
It's good you are seeing a GI Dr. as hopefully, they are more experienced with C-diff. It seems as though they have you on the right track to hopefully a quick recovery.
Once over C-diff it can take a long time for things to return to normal, if the do. Some people are left with IBS after C-diff but with proper care it is manageable and you can function near normal. I would not panic at what your stool looks like unless you are having uncontrollable diarrhea. That is when you should be concerned and contact your Dr. My Dr. constantly told me to stop looking in the toilet as I know he was always tired of me asking about the color. It is very good advice as you don't need to create unnecessary panic.
Most people have bowel movements in the morning. It's just nature, I guess. Just upon waking your colon is stimulated by hormones etc. creating muscle movements along your colon which may or may not send you to the toilet. Ever have to run to the toilet after drinking coffee? same thing it stimulates your colon. The fact that you are not going all day is good so I wouldn't really worry about the AM. There are days where I honestly go 5-6 times in the AM and then all is quiet the rest of the day.
As far as sleeping, some of us have had the insomnia thing. i was one who did. It could be from the meds. or just from worry. I always tried to nap during the day and that seemed to help even if it was short. Sometimes I still do!

It seems like you are doing fine and your Dr. seems to have things under control. So rest,nap,eat,keep busy and get better.

Wishing you well.

Christina

stefdub
New User

Postby stefdub » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:41 am

Hi Christina,
thank you so much for your advice and words of encouragement. It truly means a lot to have found people that are in the same horribly cracked boat. I just want to feel like a human being again. I have NEVER been this sick in my life. And I truly truly appreciate your words!!!!!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart
Stefan

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”