Abdominal pain post C. Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Tricia
New User

Abdominal pain post C. Diff

Postby Tricia » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:31 pm

Hello,

Another question from a newbie. I took 2 rounds of Flagyl and then Vanco for 10 days. About 4 days post the Vanco I developed D for a day and then suddenly constipation and bloating. (now for two days). I know this sounds like what some have described as post-C. diff IBS but I am concerned about some very specific abdominal pains.

The pain in in the appendix area (RLQ) and also the gallbladder area (RUQ). It lasts quite a while until after I eat a bit and then I get distended and the pains seem to go away for awhile. My fear is that the colon is really inflammed and I worry about inability to digest food or an obstruction. That's possibly why after eating I get so distended.

Eventually by the next day the distention goes down and the pain comes back. The bowels aren't normal but it's not D.

Anyone have this type of post C. Diff reaction? Could it still be an infection? I have an appointment with a very good GI doc next week who knows much about C. Diff. It's a whole week away though and this is pretty uncomfortable. I will follow up with the board after the visit but just wondered if anyone had any input.

One other burning question; my GI doc says, on the phone, if I do a stool culture and it's still positive for C. Diff, treat it. My family doc whose husband had and beat c. diff says it will always be positive as I am now a carrier and thinks it should not be treated unless I have D, poss. fever, and an increased white count via bloodwork. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for all of your support and advice, so far it's been quite helpful.
Tricia

crissiej
Regular User

Postby crissiej » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:48 pm

My doc said as long as you aren't having any D don't test. I have been C Diff free for about a year. I remember having abdominal issues for a while but they did get better.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:44 pm

Tricia,
You could have IBS -- see FAQ-IBS, but that is for a doctor to decide. About one out of five people develop it after C. diff. I am one -- not fun, but better than C. diff. Many people just take awhile to return to normal.

If you are tested again, wait 10 to 14 days first -- 14 best. I am not a doc. but to my knowledge, you don't test positive for C. diff. "forever" once you no longer have it actively. You usually aren't treated unless you have symptoms. One of our posters tested positive for over a year after she was "over" C. diff. but was not on meds. She finally tested negative.

Once you have C. diff., however, you are at greater risk of having it again. (See Dr. Borody's & Dr. McDonald's articles.) That is why, if antibiotics contributed, you should be careful about taking them again. Some people can; some can't.

Good luck with your appointment with the GI. Be sure & have a list of questions, but do try to make it short & succinct. I make two copies -- one for me; one for he doc -- & write the answers down as we go down the list.
If he is as familar with C. diff. as you say, he will be invaluable to you. Good luck.

Tricia
New User

Postby Tricia » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:07 pm

Thank you both for your comments. My GI doctor saw me yesterday as she knew I was struggling and had an emergency opening. I'm lucky because my doctor is a friend of mine from a past working relationship and seems to take a real interest in doing the right thing.

She said, as you mentioned, that any positive stool sample should be treated as it definitely indicates active infection. However, she felt from my symptoms that the c. diff had returned and would require another round of Vanco. She said to take vanco 125 mg 4 x day for 14 days and then every other day for 1 week.

My concern now is that I have taken 3 doses and still have the watery D(not frequent though). I know I am probably being impatient but was hoping for some slow down. Worse and a little more concerning to me is the abdominal cramping that I didn't have too much before. (it started about 2 weeks ago after having the c. diff for a month already.) Is it a sign of healing or worsening? Whereas it used to be in certain locations now I have the cramping kind of all over. I'm worried and panicking about the possibility of worsening colitis and as mentioned by my GI doctor, "could the c. diff "trigger" ulcerative colitis or crohns?"

I hope not to sound too pathetic. I just want to be normal again. I'm guessing some stressful events aren't helping my recovery. My Grandmother just died of liver cancer and my son just started his freshmen year in college. He and I had such a close relationship and I'll have to admit I miss him very much.
Tricia

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”