Medication Administration at School for kids with CDiff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
rmmmom
Brand New Poster

Medication Administration at School for kids with CDiff

Postby rmmmom » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:15 am

My son was just diagnosed with cdiff and he started flagyl 1 gram daily divided into 4 doses. He will take this for 10 days and just began Friday night (9/28). This means he will have to take one of his doses at school for the next week.....Although, medical information is private, I don't feel as though I want to inform the school nurse as to the reason he is taking it. The other option is I could give him 2 doses at night time, my pediatrician mentioned this as an option if my son could tolerate it...

Has anyone had experience with this? My son is only 11 years old.

Thanks for your sharing......

Lauren
Administrator

Postby Lauren » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:14 pm

Flagyl is nasty stuff - I would not "double up" in the evening as it is likely your son would not be able to tolerate it.

How about just telling the nurse that your son has an intestinal bacterial imbalance caused by antibiotics, and leaving it at that?

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:55 pm

I agree wholeheartedly!

rmmmom
Brand New Poster

Postby rmmmom » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it. So far he's tolerating the 4 divided doses well. I'll keep it at that.

jenpriv
Regular User

Postby jenpriv » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:36 pm

When my daughter had C Diff - I would meet her at the nurse's office at a certain time and give her the medication myself. The advice given by others is great! I hope he is doing much better soon!

Jen
Jen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:03 am

When my son was on a new type of inhaler many years ago, I was appalled at how the school nurse had all the inhalers thrown in her desk drawer -- some weren't even capped or in boxes. (He had C. diff. when he was four so I did my best about hygiene) I did the same thing as jenpriv -- went up to school & gave him the med. myself (after first talking to the school nurse).

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”