White Cells/Leukocytes in Stool Relevant to C.Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jayne
Regular User

White Cells/Leukocytes in Stool Relevant to C.Diff?

Postby Jayne » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:17 pm

I was wondering what anyone knows about the significance of white cells/leukocytes found in stool in regards to c.diff. I was told it indicates presence of infection. I'm sure it could happen for many types of infections, but is this ALWAYS found when you have active c.diff? I am currently awaiting results on c.diff culture, but doc called last night to say I have white cells & go ahead take Vanco now-will call me Monday with c.diff results. (This will be my 2nd case of c.diff since 04/07.)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:41 pm

Jayne,
Remember, this is a support site -- not a medical one. We can't give medical advice -- only tell you what worked for us.

I do know excessive white cells in blood tests indicate the presence of infection. Best to ask your doc. this question, however.

Good luck. Remember, you will eventually get over this.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:22 pm

Jayne,
I never had anyone tell me about white cells or luekocytes in my stool samples, so I'm sorry, I can't comment on that. I just want to say that I read your case history and I cannot even imagine how difficult it must have been to take a long road trip with cdiff running amok. Whew! No wonder you ended up in the hospital! Congratulations on surviving all of that. I surely hope that things get better for you soon.

Jayne
Regular User

Found some info on fecal Leukocytes

Postby Jayne » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:21 pm

I know I'm a "newbee" here & I will do my best not to cross the line from sharing to giving med advice. I would like to share what I just read on this topic: it appears that there may be some connection for this being a possible marker for c.diff. I found info at fpnotebook.com & fascrs.org that seemed to imply that- for what it's worth.

labgirl
Contributor

Postby labgirl » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:01 pm

White cells in the stool indicates the presence of infection, whether it be from C diff or some other type of infection. I had a huge amount in my stool when I was diagnosed, but they are not there when I am on treatment. Any kind of inflammatory process in the intestines is going to cause an increase in white cells, although the presence of WBC's doesn't mean you definitely have C diff.

Jayne
Regular User

New dilemma!!!

Postby Jayne » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:04 am

Thurs had all c.diff symptoms, Friday morning dropped off stool sample. Saturday started taking Vanco (as I'm quite sure it's back). Here's where it get's complicated...Sunday night while gathering garbage from the "quaranteened" bathroom- I picked up the paper w/stool sample instructions & read it-the words jumped off the page "Very Important: Be sure to put on ice as instructed". Guess what I did NOT do. I could just kick myself!!! I was in such a hurry to get it to the hospital so I might get the results before the weekend. I called the Lab & the tech said it was very important & he knows that on Friday they did those tests late in the day. Great! Doc said test Neg. Can re-test stool. If I was on Vanco for 2 days, I wonder how long I have to be off them for the test to be accurate. I've gotten myself into a pickle. Anyone have any insight???

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Jayne,
It's best to be off vanco 10 - 14 days before you can get a good stool test. If I were you, I'd complete this round of vanco and wait to see if you have a relapse, before you take another sample. That being said, I tested positive after being off vanco only 6 days, and I tested negative the day after being diagnosed with pseudomembranous colitis (the worst kind of cdiff) by sigmoidoscopy, and being off all antibiotics for 15 days. Go figure.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:38 pm

I never put any of my samples on ice except once and guess what I got my one and only false negative. My Dr.'s protocol was to get the sample fresh to the lab within an hour. If that could not be achieved then I would throw out the sample and recollect. Out of about 13 relapses I had only 1 false negative and about 11 positives. I'd follow your labs instruction but I wouldn't be to concerned if you forgot the ice.
I did once test positive and then 3 doses of meds later tested negative. So as Nancy said, I'd make sure that your off of the meds for about 2 weeks if you can before you retest.

Good luck.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”