Do I Still Have It???

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Misty
New User

Health Care / Vanco is working for me

Postby Misty » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:49 am

Hi and thanks for your replies:

I'm on 250 mg liquid Vancomycin X 3 a day, and it has so far been my savoir. I've been documenting everything in and out, so I can see if there is any pattern of events. I am still fighting dehydration and have to force myself to drink fluids.

I've been trying to find information on diet and suggestions of what to start to eat again. I don't have an appetite at this point, but know I have to soon start to eat. I have been drinking water, ginger Ale, and a Gatorade last night. But the Gatorade has 13 mg sodium and salt is something I have to STAY away from.... so I need to find another drink.

I have been afraid to add anything extra at this point, but realize I need to try to balance things at, as well as can be.

My doctor also told me to take TuZen, (10 Billion Lactobacillus plantarum 299v* Active probiotic) once in morning and at night. Plus Yoplait yogurt. And, also Metamucil morning and night. He said with the TuZen, some of it will be killed in the process of ingestion, but also that some of it will survive and at this point I have to get the 'good' bacteria back in there.

I can feel the Vancomycin working, each time I take it. I don't seem to have any bad side effects from it. I've have only had to get up twice during the last two nights. (I am running during the day still though)

My doctor wants to see me again on Tuesday and I'll be out of antibiotic at that time. I don't have the sickness, or pain I did, but I know at this point I still need the Vanco. Nothing is normal at this point, or even close to it.

It does make me wonder though after all the reading I have done, why the health professionals don't take C-diff more serious. I have been treated in the local ER room in the hospital, (in 3 different beds) having to use the same bathroom as everyone else. (patients and public) and the nurses haven't used gloves. My used IV pole goes back into the line-up of available equipment when I was finished. They used the same blood pressure machine on me as they used on everyone else.

Since I've been diagnosed and home, I'm bleaching everything down. Been using like a gallon of bleach a day. I'm afraid what's inside me might be in our home environment and if it can't be bleached, I've been throwing things out.

C-diff sure hit hard and fast and I am just surprised that the public isn't more aware of C-diff.

I wished I would have known the importance of taking Active probiotic while taking antibiotics. I will never forget the starting symptoms of C-diff and want to learn as much as I can to prevent this from happening again. (or as much as one can prevent)

I do hope I am one of the lucky ones that recover fully; but at this point I am still a day at a time. I will be very careful with any future antibotics that is for darn sure ..... it is scary for me as I do have a low immune and have repeated respirtory problems. Bottom line is I have to work with what I have and 'just try get' myself healthier ...

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:56 am

We are here to help and give support just do the best you can and don t be arfaid to be proactive and ask the Doc s many many questions showing you are enlightened to this illness! Good luck!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:17 pm

Misty,
A few thoughts about diet: I was told to stay on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) during my first month of cdiff, when I was misdiagnosed. I lost 20 pounds in that month. Of course that diet gets really boring, not that I had any appetite. Then I was told, no spice, no fat, no caffeine, no alcohol, little milk products (except yogurt), little fiber. When I found this site, I learned that diet is very individual. What agrees with one person won't agree with another. So it's trial and error. Bobbie always says, everything in moderation, nothing in excess. See what works for you.

Misty
New User

Postby Misty » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:23 pm

Hi Nancy,

The BRAT diet is the information I was looking for. Thank you! Currently I've only eat yogurt and/or some soup broth. My inners are pretty sore and even eating the soup broth seems to be pushing it. The yogurt seems to be very refreshing for the pipes, going down. Anything I do put into my mouth tastes terrible, it all has a funny tang to it. (maybe this is from the Vanco?)

I have no appetite either, is this common with C-diff?

I appreciate your suggestions and I do understand what might work for someone else might not for me. I just want to start out really slow as I don't want to create more havoc 'down there'. I am having really bad cramps today, so it might be tomorrow before I even start the BRAT diet.

Thanks again!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:35 am

Misty,
Loss of appetite is common with cdiff. I remember having to force myself to eat. What really helped me was Primadophilus reuteri. You can order it online. It gave me my appetite back, so I was finally hungry again.

Misty
New User

Postby Misty » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:55 am

Thanks for your response. I do have another question. I just finished reading an article of a 15 year old that was admitted to the BC Children's Hospital with C diff. His mother wrote of his story and she mentioned her son's stomach stopped working and was very slow to process even digestion of fluids.

I wonder about this as I am fighting dehydration and I force myself to drink, and find I bloat and can hear the fluids slousing around in my tummy.

I do still have D, but it is more often in small quantities and with blood. Should I be telling my doctor this? Or is this just normal for C diff?

I'm just not sure what is normal.... or part of the process with this illness.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or insight to this.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:17 pm

Misty,
Blood in your stool is NOT a good sign, and your doctor must be informed of this asap. It, I believe, is indicative of coclon issues in which need stronger meds...

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:45 pm

Blood in the stool can be a part of C-diff but it needs to be reported.I had it with every relapse and sometimes in large quantities.I certainly would call your Dr. and follow his/her advice.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:48 pm

I agree with TheVike and Christina that blood in your stool should be discussed with your doc. I was like Christina and had it with every relapse. I went to the ER twice, due to seeing it, before I learned that it was normal for me. Cdiff is very individual, so what is normal for one person may not be normal for another.

Misty
New User

Postby Misty » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:28 pm

I've called the doctor, and he wants to see me at 4:45 today; his nurse relayed to me that the Vanco can't be working for me. He wants to re-assess me and he 'might' change my antibotic. I feel very afraid right now ... even a bit confused ... as I am not feeling very well at all. I fear going back to the hospital (more antibotics) and or what might be the next path with this ... My doc said last week he might hospitalize me .... if Vanco didn't help, as my symptoms have been severe, since it hit me.

Keeping my fingers crossed ... thanks for sharing your knowledge & your opinions.

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:37 pm

Misty
I hope your feeling better andthe doctor figured out a route to go with you. I know when I was in the hospital and they gave me liquid vanco nothing taste good. I also got my appetite and weight back when I took the Primadophilus reuteri. I was able to find it at a local health food store. It runs about 10.00 .. I took one a day and that worked well.. I know the liquid vanco had me going alot and took about 4or 5 days to even work.. I like the pill form better.. but I don' tknow what strength the liquid was either as they gave it to me in the hospital..... Wishing you well , and keep us posted.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:09 pm

Misty,
Sometimes a nurse's advice can be helpful; sometimes not.

Perhaps the stronger dosage of Vanco. for awhile might work better for you. Glad your visit to your GI went well.

For hints on "what to eat," see FAQ-Nutrition. Ensure Plus (Vanilla) helped me gain back weight.

Do keep hydrated -- dehydration is the reason most people wind up in the hospital. Mix water half and half with Gatorade - cuts down on the sodium -- & keeps your electrolytes replenished. You can also try Pedilyte -- usually for children -- tastes awful but "does the job."

Yes, although it is getting more press, C. diff. is still not well known. It is better known in Canada & the UK where there have been more cases -- largely because of poor hygiene in hospitals.

I wouldn't stay isolated. Just stay away from crowds, if someone is obviously ill, get "far" away, and wash your hands well & often. Also, memorize the location of the restroom in every store or other business you visit -- cuts down on a lot of stress. Getting out will improve you mental outlook. Walk as much as you can when the weather is good. Exercise doesn't cure C. diff., but it helps you mentally & physically.

I, too, am prone to pneumonia. Ask about the pneumovax shot. It protects against some of the pneumonia strains although there are hundreds.

Best of luck. You've gone through a lot.

TChandler
Brand New Poster

New to site and to c diff

Postby TChandler » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:20 pm

I joined this forum because I'm really scared of going through c diff again. I just had a hestorecomy (Sept 28th) and was released from the hospital two days later, that night I spiked a 103 degree fever. The reults came back as c diff after I mentioned my BM's smelled like 'death' (I spent 5 days in the hosptial on morphine for the pain) I'd never heard of it. What I've read makes me worry since I'm not sure if I should consult a gastro doctor just because...I am still experiencing tons of pain after eatting and before and during bowel movements -- is this normal? will it get better? I'm glad to have found this site and any suggestions are welcome.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:24 pm

T. Chandler,
Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and some of the topics in FAQ – especially Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

Let's hope you are one of the lucky ones who recover with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vanco. If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff., be careful about taking them again. (See FAQ-Antibiotics.)

Definitely see a GI ASAP. (Or some have good luck with an ID -infectious disease doc.) Be sure ask how many cases of C. diff. the doc. has treated.

You will recover from this. Anxiety & fear are part of the disease.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”