Spore Ingestion!?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Spore Ingestion!?

Postby TheVike » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:24 pm

Just because a person might obviously ingest some C Diff spores doesn t necessarily mean they will contract the infection, no? I am assuming if your gut flora is in balance or good as well as your immune system it will kill or fight it off? Anyone research this as of yet...I am sure someone has for it is such a big fear of all of us with the cleaning and all right?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:03 pm

The way I understand it is that you are right, just because someone ingests some cdiff spores, they will not necessarily get cdiff. If your gut flora is healthy and normal it can keep these under control, by out-competing them. The reason that antibiotics are so bad for us is that they kill our normal gut flora. Those of us who have had cdiff probably still have some spores hanging around in there. Then these can hatch, the cdiff bacteria grow, and we get cdiff again.

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Exactly. I have no idea how I got cdiff, except that I know it wasn't from taking antibiotics or a hospital stay. But I do know that if my own gut flora had been in good shape, I probably wouldn't have gotten sick. She spore are the thing so to speak...if someone could figure out how to kill (or get rid of) the spores, we'd all be in much better shape.

Jayne
Regular User

Immune/Gut conditions seem to be a major factor

Postby Jayne » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:33 pm

From the research I have read, it appears that some people may have a presence of c.diff, however their healthy gut & or immune system keeps it in check. I kind of think of it like how strep or aids sort of can be: you can be a carrier but not be a victom of it. Does that make any sense?-hopefully.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:13 pm

Yes, some people carry C-diff and never get sick. Lucky for them.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”