Positive test result yet symptoms better.......geeeeese?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
L.S.
Regular User

Positive test result yet symptoms better.......geeeeese?

Postby L.S. » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:19 pm

Hello Everyone,

My GI just called with a positive culture result yet my physical symptoms are nothing like when I was first diagnosed. I questioned him and he had somewhat of an attitude (as if he's the doctor and I should'nt question his judgement). He said it's very common to relapse after first round of antibiotics. He is calling in a Vanco RX, meanwhile, I ran and got Cuturelle and took one.

I also have a white tongue. Asked GI if he could test for Thrush. He said he doesn't test for that and to call my dentist (which I did). Arrrgggghhh.

I'm wondering if any of you folks had diminishing symptoms yet still tested positive?

**This whole experience reminds me of the wheels that hamsters run on.

***I must admit, waiting for the phone call with test results is torture.
-----------------------
L.S. - July 07 Tested pos after Clindamycin course for tooth. Flagyl RX 14 days. Stopped after 8 (side effects).
Symptoms since stopping Flagyl: Gassy, mild intermitant cramping, hardly any D, not much of an appetite, tired and disgusted yet hopeful :)

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:58 pm

Wow, if I had diminishing symptoms, I would not take the vanco. I would take as much probiotics as I could handle. (boulardii, culturelle, kefir, yogurt ect.)

Like Christina says, the only way to end c. diff is to get OFF of the antibiotics.

The arrogance problem is so common.

Can't tell you what you should do, I just know if I had minimal symptoms I would try to put my flora back together rather than kill everything with vanco.

Hope it goes well for you and that your symptoms do not increase.

Darlene

L.S.
Regular User

Postby L.S. » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi Darlene, tx for responding. My thoughts were the same as yours. I just picked up the Vanco, brought it home and starred at it, lol.

I took a Culturelle, for the first time, a few hours ago and I can't believe how good my gut feels. A little gas is all but hey, I'd rather sound like someone letting the air out of a balloon than have the D.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow to start the Vanco as I just took advil for a headache from all the worrying. I tried to talk to the Dr. about false pos. & neg. results and toxin A&B but he blew me off saying, "The lab called in a positive result. When I get the written report I will know more about the toxins. In the meantime, I suggest the Vanco, what pharmacy?". Phhhhhh.

I hope to hear from others about false pos & neg tests. Especially since I've only been off the Flagyl for 9 days when the culture was taken. I know false neg. is common. Not sure about a false positive. I'm simply judging by how I feel.

Wishing you all the best of health and happiness.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:27 pm

there are no false positives only false negatives with C-diff testing. it is common to continue to test positive for awhile after finishing treatment and if your C-diff decides it is not coming back eventually you will get a negative test result. If symptoms have subsided experts agree that treatment is not necessary and will only continue the pattern of relapsing. Of course, if symptoms get worse and a full relapse occurs then there is no choice but to retreat. I would discuss this with your Dr. and find "proof" if you can that this is protocol and bring them with you. Most Dr.'s are arrogant (sorry) but it is possible to search and find one who is not and I would do so if he/she makes you uncomfortable.

I tested positive 3-4 times within a 4 month period only with mild tolerable symptoms therefore my Dr. did not retreat my infection. Eventually after around month 5 I got a negative result and I felt things getting even better. I knew C-diff was not coming back.

The only way to beat this is to get of the antibiotics and to allow your normal flora to beat out the C-diff. Continuing the meds when not necessary will only wipe out your entire gut flora, good and bad. Each new round of meds. you will then have to start at the beginning.

I again encourage you to discuss this with your Dr. and if necessary find a new one who gets it. And again if your symptoms get worse get back on the Vanco.

Good luck.

Christina

L.S.
Regular User

Postby L.S. » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:43 pm

Thanks for responding Christina.

When you were testing positive with mild symptoms may I ask what your symptoms were? Also, were you taking probiotics the whole time?

Thanks again

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:23 pm

My symptoms were that of a mild relapse: Cramps, diarrhea (around 10 per day), the well known loud stomach noises,occassional blood, etc. Because of what my treatment consisted of (IVIG) the relapses would start and then retract after about 5 or 6 hours. I can't tell exactly how symptoms would stop after a period off of Vanco or Flagyl as they didn't work for me and were not my treatment. My off and on behavior was typical of C-diff being counter acted by an immune response. My guess is that if you were coming off of Vanco and had mild symptoms they may continue until the bacteria war was won, one way or another.That is just my guess though. There have been others on the site who have tested positive for some time after treatment (coming off of Vanco or Flagyl) who did not retreat and like me, over time their symptoms resolved.
The only probiotics that I took the entire time were 1 Activia and 1 DanActive per day. I still continue the DanActive but have stopped the Activia. I tried other probiotics in the past with other relapses which did not work for me but what doesn't work for one may work for someone else.

L.S.
Regular User

Postby L.S. » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:18 am

Thanks for sharing Christina.

Wishing you health and happiness.

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:43 pm

If your symptoms are mild I would not jump back on vanco. I tested possitive with mild symptoms 3 times in 4 month after stopping vanco. My doctor told me unless I get a fever and watery diarrhea not to take vanco. He also told me to stop testing because some people continue to test possitive even without any clinical symptoms.

L.S.
Regular User

Postby L.S. » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:56 pm

Thanks for responding. You seem to be in line with Christina. I almost took it this afternoon after a small bm, no D. I have had 'hot flashes' since this all started but no temp.. The only symptom I really have is a slight upset stomach so I held off taking it.

It is scary having to take things into your own hands but Drs. (not all) seem to think antibiotics are a cure all. What I see is a vicious cycle so I'm going to hold off. If I get D or feel worse I'll start it.

I have been taking the Culturelle. Not sure if the causes a sour stomach or not. I've also been reading some articles on probiotics, which I just posted. Some studies say lactoGG works well, others say S boulardii works well.

Anyone taking both? Where do I find S boulardii?

Thanks a bunch.
H & H to all.

L.S.
Regular User

Postby L.S. » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:00 pm

By the way, I was never on Vanco. Only Flagyl but I got so sick on it I stopped it after 8 days. I think the dose (500 mg. 3x day) was a bit much for me.

mayotte
Contributor

Florastor

Postby mayotte » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:51 pm

S. Boulardi has a brand name of Florastor. You can order it on the internet, but also may be able to find a pharmacy or health food store that carries it.

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:21 am

I am still taking both florastor and culturelle. I used to take 4 florastors and 2 culturelles. Now I am down to 2 and 2. I am afraid to stop them so I'll continue to take them for a while.

L.S.
Regular User

Postby L.S. » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:30 pm

Thanks for the info folks.

H & H to all.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”