Bentyl and C Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jbud70
Regular User

Bentyl and C Diff

Postby jbud70 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:15 pm

Good Evening,

When I was at the doc today getting more Vanco for my relapse he also wrote me and script for Bentyl. From what I understand, Bentyl is a muscle relaxant for your GI?

If that is the case, shouldn't it not be taken in the throes of a relapse as it would prevent your body from expelling the bad stuff (much like Immodium does)? How about once the vacno has the c diff under control?

I realize this is probably a question for my doc, but he's the one that gave me the script and my pharmacist said she couldn't answer the question based on 'legal grounds'.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything from their own healthcare providers.

Thanks,
Josh

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:34 pm

My GI also prescribed Bentyl while I had active C-diff. I never took it in the middle of an actual relapse but used it in between as I still had cramping and frequent BM's. I would never take it during a serious relapse but that is my non medical opinion. It would be the same as taking Immodium which I was also allowed to take but never while relapsing.I was given and still take as needed 1-2 10 mg capsules of Bentyl 2-3 times per day for cramps.

I hope this helps.

whitepine
Regular Contributor

hi

Postby whitepine » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:26 am

Bentyl is anti-spasmotic and it can help if you have bad cramps.
It did not work for me, and it gave me dry mouth. None of the meds really worked for me except for xanax and phenegran. :) Oh and my heating pad was key!

Jayne
Regular User

Bentyl and CDiff

Postby Jayne » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:00 am

I was given Bentyl (anti-spasmodic) while in the hospital for post-cdiff colitis, didn't seem to help so they switched me to a different one called Levsin-it may have helped a little more, but not much with the very painful spasms. I doubt it would be very good to take when you're in the heat of possitive cdiff but I recommend voicing that concern with your doctor. Also I have recently been given Lomotil to help with the spasms, but then I am not testing positive for cdiff currently, just dealing with the aftermath.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”