On flagyl, stomach upset, increase in D and pain in hands

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cliffsgal
Brand New Poster

On flagyl, stomach upset, increase in D and pain in hands

Postby cliffsgal » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:41 pm

OK - so I have been hospitalized twice since May - the first time to remove my gallbladder laproscopically and and the second time to fix an umbillical hernia caused by the first surgery by open surgery. Was discharged the second time in mid-June. Was tested for C-diff in late June and doc's office said I didn't have it. 10 days later they called to say that they had read the test results wrong and that I did have it so they put me on Flagyl. I started a week ago and have had a terribly upset stomach, an increase in my bouts with D and horrible pain in my hands on and off.

I didn't take any meds today and feel 100% better. Will not continue the Flagyl until I talk to my doc on Monday. After doing some research I found that the hand pain could be associated with the Flagyl.

What would anyone suggest I do from here? This has only gotten the best of me as far as emotionally. Phycially, I am slowed down but not out.

- Regina in Tucson

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:17 am

Regina,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read "All Users Read This First," Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all other parts of the FAQs that may interest you. Most people (about 80%) beat cdiff after 1-2 rounds of Flagyl or vancomycin, and I hope you are in the lucky majority.

I felt crummy on Flagyl, queasy with that lousy metallic taste in my mouth all the time. Some strains of cdiff are resistant to Flagyl. If I were you, I'd ask my doc about taking vancomycin instead. I felt much better on it.

I love your saying that you are slowed down but not out. What a great attitude! Good luck in beating this beast. Let us know how it goes.

jenpriv
Regular User

Postby jenpriv » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:33 pm

Hi Regina:

I'm sorry to hear about your C Diff. My daughter had it for over a year. The Flagyl was a no go, but we had positive results after Vanco, Culturelle and a very low sugar diet. I might ask about Vanco since you may be suffering some side effects from that nasty old Flagyl. Please let us know how you are doing. Take care.
Jen

L.S.
Regular User

Postby L.S. » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:39 pm

Sorry to hear that you contracted this miserable bug. I took Flagyl and had problems with it. I found this site and made me feel much better knowing I wasn't alone and not going crazy. Actually, I identified with most symptoms and it made me laugh.

This site offers feedback from people who have taken various medications.

http://www.askapatient.com/viewratings. ... =DateAdded

I wish you all the best. Don't let this beast get the best of you. You're too strong to let some microscopic, rod shaped bacteria take over your life. WE WILL ALL BEAT THIS. I know a cure is right around the corner.

L.S.
Regular User

Postby L.S. » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:41 pm

P.S. I laughed so hard at one of the posts on that site. It said
"Flagyl must be made in the same factory as Drano". .........LOL

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:01 pm

pooooooooooooor guy! I can t stop lauging at the one guy who arms kept flinging out left to right one after the other poor fellow Not good laughing like hell....so sorry ROFLMFAO

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:02 pm

suspected c-diff anxiety,panickataacks,vertigo,dizziness,rapid heart,severe insomnia,confusion,agressiveness,feeling of dying,face burning spine burning,possible partial seizure ,did not have c-diff turns out. took 3 days woke up with fast heart rate and arms started flinging out to side one at a time,2 er visits,one hospital stay,neurologist 2 doctor's later still have insomnia and anxiety and depression and muscle spasms come and go,do not know if I will ever be the same. Do not take beg for alternative. If anyone has any advice let me know taking pro-biotics and valerian root to sleep.Know I had toxic reaction,it has been seven weeks and begging for mercy.Will insomnia and anxiety ever go away.SEVEN WEEKS F 30 3 days Email 3/28/2007
1 anxiety,panickataacks,vertigo,dizziness,rapid heart,severe insomnia,confusion,agressiveness,feeling of dying,face burning spine burning,possible partial seizure took 3 days woke up with fast heart rate and arms started flinging out to side one at a time,2 er visits,one hospitol

L.S.
Regular User

Postby L.S. » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:57 am

Hello Vike

What worked for me in reducing the residual effects of the Flagyl was slowly getting back into exercise. Although I'm nowhere near where I was before c-diff, I will forge ahead. I also try to keep my mind busy (difficult at times). I try to stay positive and learn all I can about this monster called c-diff, and try to eat right.

Time, a positive attitude and sense of humor help; in any negative circumstances we face in life. It's not always easy but essential in order to keep fighting and moving forward. It's also good to have emotional support. For me, this site is my saving grace as my husband, family and friends are burnt out with listening to me, which I understand. Truth is, one can only truly understand if they have been or are going through it.

What freaks me out the most is the 'trial and error' approach to this monster which causes the victims to run in circles trying to find answers. It's so scary. Something this horrible should not be placed on the back burner. I know there is a cure and or vaccine out there. Science just needs to pay more attention.

Above all, never let go of the fact that there is a higher power at work which is much more powerful than any medicine. Trust it with all that you are.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

Postby TheVike » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:00 am

I can relate KNOW exactly what you mean LS. Let s pray for one another!

L.S.
Regular User

Postby L.S. » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:11 am

Agreed. I pray for everyone afflicted by this and other terrible sicknesses.

I just had a good laugh. Go back to

http://www.askapatient.com/viewratings. ... =DateAdded

and read the entry by the 35 yr. old male on 8/21/07. ROTF!!!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”