Testing positive while on Vanco?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
rika99
New User

Testing positive while on Vanco?

Postby rika99 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi All,

Am on my 4th round of drugs currently (1 round flagyl, 1 round flagyl with taper, 1 round vanco, and now on 1 round vanco with taper--longest time off drugs without relapse was 4 days from the vanco), and my last test for C. Diff was positive for toxins A & B after one full day on vanco (125 mg 4x/day).

My GI doc now has me on 250mg 4x/day, but I'm wondering if anyone ever tested positive while on Vanco, and if that means I have some sort of weird resistant strain even though it's been controlling my symptoms? (He had me do another test after 10 days on Vanco, just to see if I'd still test positive while on the drug--still awaiting results.)

Am headed to an infectious disease doctor on monday for a second opinion, but I'm generally a bit worried as I'm in the process of moving from a big city with good medical treatment and a VERY understanding GI (DC), to a small city with literally 1 GI practice and 2 docs, and no infectious disease doc at all (Blacksburg, VA). Urgh.

gathering patience and strength from all of you,
rika

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:29 am

If I'm reading your post right you tested positive after only being on Vanco for one day. If this is correct then the Vanco most likely didn't have time to kick in. It can take a few days. It also could be that you were not on a high enough dose. 4 - 125's never did much for me. I always stopped a relapse with 2,000 mg per day and then dropped down to 4-250's where I would stay for sometime. It is also not a good idea to test while you are on meds. as that will not give you a proper test result. While on meds. you will almost always get a negative result only to come off and days later get a positive one. Most Dr.'s do not test while on treatment and most do not retest after treatment unless you are having a true relapse. This will cut down on the false negative results that are very common with C-diff.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”