Question about Questran

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cryingsilly
Contributor

Question about Questran

Postby cryingsilly » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:57 pm

I am into my third month with c-diff. This time around my GI is giving me Questran along with my taper. He said that the binding properties of the Questran would (possibly) allow me to reduce down without relapsing.

Have any of you tried Questran? Have any of you had success with it in helping you to get rid of c. diff?

Thanks so much for your help.

Darlene

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:10 am

Darlene,
Some have good luck with Questran & some don't. It has a low "cure" rate by itself, but the 2nd time my son had C. diff. he recovered on Questran alone -- no Flagyl or Vanco. It didn't work for me either time I had C. diff. but has worked for others & is well worth a try.

See info. on it in Dr. Borody's article.

Be sure & space it as far apart from Vanco. as possible (& probiotics if you are taking them) as it will "bind" them & make them less effective.

Good luck.

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:46 am

I was wondering what the best way of spacing was. It says on the label to take other meds one hour or more before and at LEAST 4 hours after.

So what I have been doing is taking Vanco and Boulardi together... waiting two hours... then taking the Questran, then waiting 4 hours and taking the vanco and bouldardi again.

Is my GI correct that Boulardi should not affect the action of the vancomycin? I know that the vanco doesnt hurt the boulardi but I just wanted to make sure of the other way around as well.

My biggest concern right now is being dropped down from 500X4 to 250X4. I already have more symptoms after just 24 hours of the new dosage. Will just try and ride it out, hoping the Questran will help things.

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

wish...

Postby TheVike » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:02 pm

you the best and for a speedier recovery!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:17 pm

cryingsilly,
Yes, S. boulardii is a yeast & Questran shouldn't affect it.

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:19 pm

Unfortunatly questrin didn't help me. Good luck!

bluemnm37
New User

tried it

Postby bluemnm37 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:11 pm

I was on Questran for a little while as well when I was on my second round of Flagyl, and although I didn't see a huge improvement, it seemed as though it may have helped bind me up some. It wasn't a HUGE help, but back then any help I could get I was willing to try!
Tania

Jayne
Regular User

Questran caution

Postby Jayne » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:46 pm

I was given Questran while in the hospital. My doc said it would help bind the toxins & flush it out quicker. By my 3rd day in hosp, they ended up increasing my dose to 4 times/day because I was still having D almost every hour. By day 4: I had no D. (Bear in mind I had also not had a spec of food in 5 days-so maybe there was nothing left to come out.) But here's the tricky part...on day 5 I gradually started increasing food intake, but didn't have a single bm for the next 4 days (not taking any Questran). My doc was concerned-said taking too much can give me the opposite problem (too much binding-constipation-blockage). Of course, the D did return (9 times/day), so I took Questran 1ce day-it helped a little. Seems like mostly "trial & error" for each person.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”