Can someone help me?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Chashakasha
New User

Can someone help me?

Postby Chashakasha » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:43 am

My father was diagnosed with c diff a few weeks ago. 2 days later, being in intense pain, he admitted himself to the hospital. He had a hernia (in his colon i believe) for quite a few months before this. The hospital said they would treat his c diff infection with low doses of antibiotics and when the infection was gone they would do surgery on his hernia. 3 days later, they declared emergency surgery necessary. after surgery, it all went downhill. all his vital organs slowly started shutting down. 2 days after surgery, my father passed away. He was in the hospital for less than a week.

My family feels like the hospital did something wrong.

Can anyone tell me if anything sounds fishy?

Thank you so much,
Zelda

Connie
Regular Contributor

Postby Connie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:12 pm

Without knowing more details, it is impossible to speculate whether or not the hospital might have done anything wrong. What was your father's age? What was the nature of the emergency that required immeidate surgery? It sounds as if he might have had a rupture or strangulation of the gut that resulted in sepsis--wihch can cause organs to shut down very quickly. If so, it is unlikely that c. diff played any part in his death. Determining whether a doctor or hospital's negligence caused his death Might be very difficult. I think another doctor would have to look at all the records and be willing to testify that the hospital did not provide adequate standard of care. JMHO.
Thomas's Mom

Chashakasha
New User

Postby Chashakasha » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:25 pm

my father was 70 years old. The Hospital did not tell us why they were doing surgery. Only that they needed to go in and they might have to remove the entire colon.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:33 pm

Chashakasha,
Our condolences on the death of your father. Your loss is undescribable, & I can see why you'd like some answers.

As a patient, records are "yours" by law. I don't know if this means the entire file, but it does apply to tests, etc. As your father's next of kin, you might have legal access to the records, but I am not a doctor or a lawyer. I would attempt to get the records ASAP. I'd also schedule an appointment with the hospital's administrator & the attending docs. You deserve answers to your questions.

Again, our condolences.

Connie
Regular Contributor

Postby Connie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:35 pm

You have the right to ask the doctors involved for a complete explanation of what the circumstances were that required your father to have immediate surgery, what was done during the surgery, and exactly what caused his death. I can't imagine not wanting to know and understand this
Thomas's Mom

bluemnm37
New User

records

Postby bluemnm37 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:54 pm

I'm almost positive that as a patient your medical record is "yours" and you can absolutely demand an explanation as to why things happened the way they did. I think a lot of time the public does not question what happened or why, because medicine isn't something that a lot of people know a lot about. My Mom recently had a laparoscopic hysterectomy done and afterwards she had a few questions as to why things went the way they did. She went in and asked the doctor to explain and/or give her my Mom's record so she could see for herself. Which the doctor did. Another example I can extend to you is that as a little test to myself, I've spoken to some doctors as a regular patient, and then later in the consultation I somehow incorporate the fact that I'm a surgical tech in the operating room and the entire way they talk to me and and their demeanor changes. I'm in absolutely no way saying that I got better or worse care either way, but I think sometimes unknowing people don't know what to ask, or how. If you have questions, I would absolutely ask them. I'm so sorry for your loss as well, and all my condolances and prayers go out to you and your family.
Tania

NormaU
New User

Postby NormaU » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:34 am

Zelda,
In Jan of 2006 I was admitted to the hospital with a heart attack and needed a quadruple bypass. While I was recovering from the surgery I was infected with c-diff. After 2 days of flagyl and vacomyacin I was diagnosed with toxic mega colon and sepsis and had an emergency subtotal colectomy. I was kept heavily sedated and on a respirator for 10 days. My doctors did not expect me to live. I have recovered fairly well but my life has changed completely.

I also thought the hospital created the infection and then did not act fast enough to remedy the situation. However after consulting with an attorney who specializes in medical malpractice they determined that I was infected with a very virelant form of c-diff and that there was no fault to be laid on the hospital or doctors.

I am not saying that is the case with your father. As we all know c-diff reacts differently in all who are infected. Now we are also dealing with very aggressive strains and strains that do not respond to flagyl or vancomyacin.

My heartfelt condolances go out to you and your family. It is so difficult to lose a parent, especially under these circumstances. I agree with the previous posters, you should get your fathers records and if possible talk to the hospital administrators and his doctors. The knowledge they provide may bring you peace.

Norma

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”