IBS vs CDiff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
bluemnm37
New User

IBS vs CDiff?

Postby bluemnm37 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:42 pm

OK...I've been off Flagyl for a week now...and after reading around the site, it seems like most people have some continuing symptoms even after stopping meds. I haven't returned to "normal'...lots of gurgling, spasms, bloating, and cramping. Then last night I went out to eat with a few coworkers and had a fairly large meal. I have to mention too that I had a candy bar and some soda at a movie earlier, as well. As soon as I got home I was in the bathroom, with about 5 BM's one right after another. Not the big D though, all somewhat formed. What made this distinctive was the excruciating pain that came out of nowhere, so bad that it woke me from sleep. Bad enough that i seriously considered driving myself to the ER at midnight. I thought, oh great, cdiff's back again, but then I woke up this morning and although I didn't feel wonderful (still bloaty, crampy, aches, gurgling) the horrible pain was gone. I also haven't had a BM, nor the urge to go either. For all those with IBS...does this sound like the symptoms you have? Because I'm thinking it's not necessarily cdiff, but IBS. My doc wants to get labs drawn...but since I've only been off of Flagyl for a week, I'm hesitant to go and get a false positive and be put on Vanco this time if it's not necessary. That was the first really bad incident since I've been off meds...so I was wondering if anyone with IBS post-CDiff could impart some wisdom...thanx so much!!
Tania

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:07 am

I have been left with very bad PI-IBS for which I take several medications for. Your symptoms could either be C-diff or IBS. They feel and act very similar. I certainly don't think I'd retest unless your symptoms become worse and you developed diarrhea but that is a decision that needs to be made between you and your Dr. Most Dr.s don't retest unless you do have the frank diarrhea and that would be normal protocol. Most Dr.'s seem to agree that even if you test positive there is no need to retreat unless of course, the above is the case. Many of us here have continued to test positive long after treatment has finished and it can take awhile to get a negative result. It took me about 5 months or so.All being said, I certainly would keep a close eye on your symptoms and contact your Dr. if things progress or become unbearable. You don't want to get terribly ill with a serious relapse.

Good luck and hopefully this will pass and you'll be on your way to recovery!

bluemnm37
New User

similiarities

Postby bluemnm37 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:49 pm

Hey thanks for your input! I was researching IBS online after I've been having these persistant symptoms, and it seems like they are VERY similiar. So it's got me rather confused...lol. The only thing that seems to be different now is that I'm hardly going to the bathroom at all. Which leads me to believe it's not CDiff. Everytime I've had CDiff I couldn't go too far from the bathroom for too long, except when I started meds. It's been a week off meds now, and nothings gotten any worse. I filled the lab script and brought home all my various containers if I want to recheck, but I made an app with a GI doc for this Thurs and I think I may wait to do the whole retest thing until I go and see him, unless things suddenly get drastically worse. It just seems that my family doc knows very little about the whole CDiff thing, and I don't want to recheck only a week out and be put on Vanco unnecessarily. I guess it's idiotic of me to believe that after a month of antibiotics (I was on a Cephalosporin, then Augmentin, THEN Avelox) and then all my CDiff treatments, my GI tract would just instantly go back to normal. It did the last time I had CDiff, relatively quickly, but this time maybe it'll take longer. Or maybe next I'll be joining an IBS support group!!! :) Thanks again....
Tania

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:25 am

bluemnm37,
I, too, was left with IBS. See FAQ-IBS & The Three Day Rule. It isn't medical but just a "rule of thumb" I made up to try to tell the difference. With C. diff., you usually become progressively worse without medication although you can still have "good" days. With IBS, you can have a good day and two bad days, but if you have 3 bad days in a row, I'd call your doctor.

If you are still concerned, I'd ask for another culture. Wait 10 to 14 days (14 best) if you can. See FAQ-Tests. I'd consult a GI or ID if you continue to be concerned especially since you had C. diff. in the past. Be absolutely sure you need antibiotics if you take them again. Clindamycin is a particularly big offender implicated in C. diff. See FAQ-Antibiotics.

bluemnm37
New User

"bad" day

Postby bluemnm37 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:59 pm

Bobbie,

thanks for the advice, and I read all those subjects that you recommended. I guess I'm unsure of what constitutes a "bad" day. Although today I took some Immodium in the morning and I seemed to not have as much bloating and gurgling going on. I did make an app with a GI doc, but I talked to a couple people at work (I fortunately have the benefit of working with an abundance of medical personnel, docs, nurses, nurse practitioners) and several of them all said it sounds like PI-IBS. But I'm going to the GI regardless just to make it "official".
Tania

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:05 pm

bluemnm37,
A "bad" day would consist of many visits to the bathroom. No need to go into "number of BM's."(Should be confined to TMI.) We are trying to keep this site professional, but it is difficult with all the "inner bathroom" comments. I know people are concerned but should confine these "must share" comments to TMI.

You are fortunate to be a nurse & know what docs. are "good." (After all, one half graduated at the bottom of their class.) Be sure & ask the GI about taking Immodium. For many years it was a "no no" with active C. diff. although some C. diff. experts now OK it. Most OK it for inactive C. diff. or IBS. (I wouldn't take Lomotil with active C. diff. though unless your doc. OK's it.) Immodium helped me LOTS with IBS. I've noticed as the years have gone by, I have to take it less and less.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”