Relapse while tapering

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cryingsilly
Contributor

Relapse while tapering

Postby cryingsilly » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:02 pm

Quick question about relapsing while tapering on Vanco.

I read alot of the posts here, but was wondering if anyone could give me their experience with it, and what course they took if it happened.

After my first relapse, I took Vanco 500X4 for 10 days. Then reduced to 250X4 for 7 days. At the end of that 7 days, I was feeling kinda iffy in the colon department. Nothing major though, just subtle differences that I noticed away from the norm. 2 days ago I reduced again to 125X4 and I am now relapsing on that amount.

Im an achy crampy camper. Would anyone be kind enough to tell me what their GI or ID did if this happened to them?

Am waiting to hear back from the office.

I hate being afraid of this infection!

Thanks
Darlene

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Darlene,
I always had problems the first couple days of going down.. I would do the 3 days rule , unless you are completely thinking your full blown relpase.. I always had the loose stools, achy legs etc.. for the first few days.. hope this helps

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:50 pm

Diane you are a Godsend!

Thank you for your reply. I will keep this in mind and try to stay hopeful. My stomach feels a mess, my body feels 95 years old, and my mind is racing like crazy.

When you felt like that did you up your dose, or just hang on and it leveled out. I am guessing the latter.

Thank you again Diane!

Darlene

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:55 pm

I held on .. it was very hard somedays.. there were days I thought for sure it was a full blown relapse. I was wrong. how many days has it been?

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:05 pm

This is the third day of the reduced dosing. I was feeling some mild symptoms at the end of my 250X4 week. Then as soon as I started the 125X4, I started having symptoms in the evenings. Cramping, a bit looser stools. Yesterday I felt fine all day long, but about 8pm I started noticing more cramping. Then a few Bm's. Last night I was up a lot, nauseas and a constant feeling of urgency. Today is the same. Urgency, lack of appetite, 4 or 5 bm's consistently looser as they go on. I had been down to one per day, and not loose at all.

My temp is normal right now. Although I ache like I have a fever. I feel tired.

Am tempted to go back up to 250X4 and see if that makes a difference. Am trying to wait though for a return call from my GI.

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:37 pm

yea that sounds like me..... I know its so hard because you think right away oh crap its back. Hopefully tomorrow you will be back to normal , if not than go back up for a couple weeks if you want..... your body just not might be ready yet. I had to go back up a few times and did that for awhile and started my pulse over again. I had to do it a several times before it finally gave in............. 3 years later.... it finally is gone.. I hope you feel better. Let me know what your doctor says.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”